Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering who got the rain last night around the heat ravaged states. We heard thunder in the distance while watering the plants. :(
Though no rain fell, the cloud cover and cool wind blowing just before dark, were truly a blessing and welcome relief, ever so short lived, from the heat.

·
Super Moderator
7,864 Posts
We got some of the wind Fryday night from the land hurricane. A few trees were taken down and power outages were numerous. We managed a sprinkle Sunday with some hail around noon, and when these storms made it to Eastern NC, they got hammered . Three people were killed. Got another sprinkle last night. These storms were severe when in W.Va. and Va., but weakened as they entered in NC and fell apart. We have had a few brief breaks from the sweltering heat like you Dave, and it was welcome relief.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Dave we got 3th of inch last night with lot of wind 5000 people without electric here in Lexington-ever little bit helps ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Drove to Wise, VA from Savannah on Saturday- had to cut grass Friday night, it was 103* but I had to get it done, normally a 45min job using a rider for most, push mower for the spots I can't do with the rider, and weed whacker. I skipped the weed whacker stuff. Took LOTS of breaks.

INTENDED to leave at 6:30am Saturday AM for the vacation trip, did not leave until 7:30. Took SC 321 from Hardeeville near the SC/GA border and I-95, up to Columbia. No real traffic, just rural two lane. Then we hit Columbia and I-26, it was mid 90's and heavy traffic. Temp was 100* in short order, traffic picked up a tad but got heavy again around Spartanburg, then really heavy around Henersonville/Asheville, NC.

LOTS of people (like us?) towing boats, campers, roof carriers etc. We had the Dodge truck with the boat behind it. ONce north of Asheville on I-26 it was lighter traffic, stopped in Erwin, TN for a cold drink and a snack, it was 103*. I saw lots out on Harleys in tee shirts. Way too hot for me and when I was younger I loved the sun, now I hide from it. The AC in the truck works great and when we stepped out, it was like an oven!

Got to the in laws at 4:30 pm and took a nice nap in the AC of the house. It was a very dry heat outside, unlike our Savannah heat. Then it cooled off the next day, we missed storms one county north. Went Sunday night to a drive in movie (had not been to a drive in in 25 plus years!) and they had storms 10 miles north. Blew a lot of the garden's corn down and had power out. The power came back in the night and I staked up the corn the next day.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Had a bad electrical storm with very high winds at my house last night. Blew off and broke my weathervane and cupola all to pieces. We lost power for less than a minute. Rain wasn't even measurable in my rain gauge.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Glad some of You guys are getting some moisture. Nuttin here; nuttin but little bitty puff ball clouds. We desperately need what ain't happened in a looooong time; what we call a sure nuff deep soaker with plenty of run off. Earlier Accuweather showed Ardmore area may have been getting some rain. Thats about 125 miles mostly east of here. Guess we are under another one of those high pressure cells.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Not a drop around these parts. Clouded up a bit today, temp dropped into the low 90's first time in a week or so. No rain showed up...weatherboy says maybe Sunday or Monday 30% ish...Bummer for us, but glad you that are getting it are getting it !!!

G

·
0 Posts
Had a big storm come at us yesterday. Shortly before it got here, it split - went north and south of us then reconnected :cry: :cry: Could have used a lil more.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another evening of watching other folks even closer by get some much needed rain.
Actually saw some good streaks of lightning flash through the sky, but alas, no relief for this little patch of KY. :(

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
BigDaveinKY said:
Another evening of watching other folks even closer by get some much needed rain.
Actually saw some good streaks of lightning flash through the sky, but alas, no relief for this little patch of KY. :(
Big Dave not us either. nothing . Haven't mowed the yard for over 2 weeks Grass is brown.

·
849 Posts
We finally got our rain tonight. Probably just enough to make everyone think it's OK to shoot fireworks. I sense a long day at the FD tomorrow :lol: Anybody else get rain?

·
Super Moderator
7,864 Posts
None for us. It rained along the NC/Va border, the foothills, and in Mt. Airy. It was enough to produce clouds to cool the temps a bit. The break fron the intense heat was very welcome.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Third day in a row the clouds formed thunder sounded, but not a drop of rain hit the ground here. :roll:
Not another chance forecast till Monday, when it's supposed to drop under the century mark for high temps.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Big Dave nothing here yet . Henry water some garden last night and finishing it up this morning. Get close but just not close enough for us to get any.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It rained so hard here the gutters could not take it off-they overflow.. I don't know how much but grass greened up over night here ;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
caseman said:
It rained so hard here the gutters could not take it off-they overflow.. I don't know how much but grass greened up over night here ;)
Caseman i am assuming You and BettyP live only a very few short miles apart? Hopefully with the rain the heat Your area is experiencing will break. Ya'll are higher in humidity than we are but was afraid You guys would experience the very high temps we have in August here in the higher drier plains; i don't wish that on any one any time.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Melvin I am about 30miles from Jr. And no Melvin I didn't get a drop of it . Jr didn't sent me the over flow :roll: We have 102 degrees now .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts