Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THANKS EVERYONE for the replies and please keep posting your tobacco pics.-Nick
I will pick up where I left off.I will be adding to this post as I have time,so if you are interested please check back.
Here is a pic of the 311b with our first generation boom spray in action.This first design was built by my dad and uncle in the late 60's.It used oil field rod line for the boom,this made it so heavy a counterweight was needed.A cracked cast center from an 8000 Ford was used for this!!It was built on a bushog frame.Dad is at the wheel.

Mom driving for me in the late 70's on the 311b.I am harvesting the tobacco.

The local paper did a feature article on tobacco and came out to our farm to take pics.This is me and the boys in 1997 .

This is a load of Bale Burley tobacco ready to haul to market around 1998

Out of time again will post more later,
Nick
Here's a few more pics
This is 1977 and we are loading hand tied tobacco,this is the way tobacco was prepared for market before about 1980.We would load the tobacco on baskets at home ourselves instead of at the tobacco warehouse to save time waiting in line to get unlaoded.

Here is the youngest boy about 1998 rolling the cover crop wheat in on the tobacco ground.A cover crop is needed for tobacco as there is not any organic material left after harvest.In the background is the 1190 Case with the seeder and the 1952 DC with the disc.

Another pic of the youngest in the same field

Here he is again hauling out the tobacco stalks around the same time.

Here's the same son in 2008 checking out the "new" 400 Case roundnose

Repairing a tobacco wagon around 1998.Left to right are me,Dad and the oldest son.We were working under the trees as my old shop was not big enough to put the wagon in.

The cultivating crew circa 1998.

Getting the boom spray ready on the 530 Case.This tractor threw a rod and was parted out.

I traded the 530's complete transmission and misc parts for this 1950 VAC.

I did not have enough barn room to cure all of my tobacco so I used about 40 tobacco frames to cure it outside.This was in my back yard.Needless to say the mrs was not happy about giving up her back and side yard to cure tobacco!!!!

Well it's time to go to work,
Nick

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Very interesting as I at one time took 2 boys to the stripping room with me . Thanks for sharingthe pics.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Loved all the pics. We raised flue-cured "baccer" from 1978 when we bought Grandpa's and my dad's homeplace until the buyout in 2004. Mrs. Jim and I are the fifth generation owners of this place.
Since the buyout, "baccer" can be grown most anywhere. Some burley is grown in this part of the state, but the largest grower in this area has given up on it cuz he cannot get enuff weight out of it. I think our climate is too hot. Despite the hard work required, tobacco truly used to "pay the bills". I'm not so sure if that is the case now.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Nick I have really enjoyed looking at the two post. Brings back a lot of good memories. Good you have so many pictures to document the process. Lots of hard work went with it but tobacco is one crop that once raised in it it gets in your blood and I still miss doing. I will add a pic if you don't mind of the fun part. Me in the late 80's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts