Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Holland, Roll-Belt 450 Utility Round Baler. :D

I never thought I'd see the day when I bought a brand new piece of farm equipment. Long story short, my old J.D. 510 baler ate the floor belts last season.
Seeing as it needed over half the upper belts, and chains replaced as well. The cost for materials alone almost doubled what the same model in good shape brings on the market.
Seeing as even in the manual stated it didn't bale short material well, I hadn't planned on keeping it anyway. So I went on the hunt for a good used replacement.
Looking for something in my price range that would last me thirteen to fifteen more years rolling about 75 to 80 bales a year without breaking down in the field all the time.
Friday, I was at a New Holland dealer looking at a newer Massey Ferguson/Hesston/AGCO 1745, and was just about to buy it, when I opened the door to see the bracket that holds
the pickup drive chain idler sprocket bent at the end, and the sprocket sitting cocked and misaligned in the chain. That told me something hit hard to stop the chain violently
enough to bend a 1/2" piece of steel, and I didn't want that machine. About the time that thought came to mind, and before I said anything about it, the salesman said,
"I can get you one of these New Holland 4'x5' balers brand new for about $1000 more." I said "You have my attention." After a few phone calls and a bit of haggling,
it came out to just under $1000 more, that he gave me in trade for my 30+ year old broken baler. I maybe could have sold it for that in non running condition.
So, I couldn't pass up the deal...... Great deal :?: ...... No, but from what I've been pricing around I think a pretty good one. ;)

As you can see in the background the hay is ready to cut if we ever get enough dry days in a row. :roll:

Now, I guess I have an excuse to do a little R&R (Repair & Repaint) on my old tractor. Mechanically it's sound, just needs a couple of seals and a fresh coat of paint and decals.
Just so it doesn't look like a sow's ear pulling a silk purse. ;) But, then, I'd have to paint the haybine, square baler, mower........ :oops:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Good news from you Dave and happy hay days for you
when every the weather lets you cut your hay. :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Dave thats a good looking roller. Looks good behind the tractor to. I'm looking foreward to seeing some pics of it working and hear how it does. Looks like you got som good looking hay to try it out on.

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The price was definitely right, and I think it will make me a good roller for the next ten or fifteen years, until I decide to hang it up.....or if I make it that long.....never know. :?

You're right Mike, If it don't break down at least once before I get a field done, I'll think something is wrong. Though I'm sure there will be a few trials
until I get to know how to make the machine work best.

Looks like next week may be kind to hay making if the forecast holds up. It's at it's peak right now, but too cool this weekend. The hay wouldn't cure good,
and a chance of rain moving back in for Sunday afternoon through Monday. Seems it always rains at least one day on Memorial Day weekend. :roll:

Gordon, I'll try and get some action photos but it's not easy to take photos of yourself working. My bride is usually at work when I'm in the fields, but I'll save a bit to do for after she gets home.
After I saw the photo I thought it fit the tractor pretty well too. Didn't really pay attention when I was taking it. The tractor don't look too bad at 60 feet away.
The wrinkle in the decal behind the muffler is the camera, the hood is straight as can be. ;)

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be gettin' it dirty as soon as the dew lifts today. ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Hope everything go really well for you today Big Dave.

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
Dave, I saw the baler in action in another post, and forgot to mention it at Caseman's show last weekend. Glad you got something that will do the job for you at a reasonable price. Seems like these days its becoming more difficult to get those two things at the same time.

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jim, and you're right. My bride's boss farms when he's not running his business. He bought a GREEN baler about a week before I bought this one. MY bride tells me,
he paid $11,000 more than I did for mine. The only two things his has that mine doesn't, are gathering wheels and net wrap. That was $3800 worth of options on this one.
I assumed that he bought a bigger baler, 5x5 or 5x6. I ran into him at the bank the other day, and got to talking. I was mistaken. His is a 4x5 also. Even selling his hay for
$5 more a roll than I do, with the cost of net wrap over twine, and the difference in purchase price. It's gonna take him a whole lot more hay to pay his off. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Dave I guess I'm missing something cause I know the net wrap is supposed to be a good thing but I'd rather have a roller without it. Never did like fooling with it when you feed it. The gathering wheels are nice if your running a bigger windrow and turning but Im like you for the average farmer I'd rather have the $3800 in my pocket. That would buy a lot of twine. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
Dave, I have been wrestling with the idea of getting a round baler for a few years. I don't know if I really bale enuff to justify one, even with this old body with damaged shoulders getting tired and achy pretty quickly with square bales. There are lots of hobby horse owners around, and they prefer square bales. Fewer squares are made each year it seems. I can get help when I need it, and paying a little labor along is less to me than a large investment in a baler.
I'm guessing I bale 1200 to 1500 a season, but it varies depending upon the weather.

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim, I bale both. I use square bales, for my animals. I tried round bales, but Two just don't eat a round bale quick enough before it goes bad,
unless I build a gazebo to shelter it. My main hay buyer is why I started round baling. I supply a horse training/riding stable owner, his brother,
sister, and a few of his friends with hay. The man who owns the stable decided to start using round bales in the winter a few years ago.
Though, they still use square bales along with the round. The others still want square bales. My next cutting will get square baled. For my hay,
and what they need. Then if the season gives us some fall hay, I'll bale it to what they need, or roll it and put up a sign. Lots of folks around
here use round bales for their cattle and square for their horses. So it's to my benefit to be able to do both. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts