Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story appeared in this mornings paper. Thought it was one of those feel good things to start the day! You hear of these things but neat when they happen and I think fasinating!!!

SHAWNEELAND — If Bucky the dog could talk, he’d probably have a pretty good story to tell.
Last week, the 3 1?2-year-old black Labrador retriever was reunited with his owner after he somehow managed to travel about 500 miles from western Frederick County to his hometown of Myrtle Beach, S.C.
The journey took Bucky 7 1?2months — from mid-January to late August, according to his owner, Mark Wessells, 22. The same trip in a car would take about 8hours.
“I’m still kind of in awe of it,” said Wessells, who lives in Myrtle Beach but grew up in the area and attended James Wood High School in Frederick County.
Bucky’s odyssey — which has generated national media attention — began Jan. 11, when he was reported missing from Wessell’s father’s home in rural Shawneeland. His whereabouts were unknown until he turned up about a week ago in a Myrtle Beach neighborhood, thin but as friendly as ever.
“I thought somebody had stolen him,” said Tom Wessells, who was keeping his son’s dog because the Myrtle Beach apartment where the younger Wessells was living already had a dog and couldn’t accommodate another one.
At first, Bucky seemed happy with his new living arrangement. He arrived in Shawneeland in late November with Mark, who came home for a visit that lasted until just before Christmas.
When Wessells returned to Myrtle Beach, leaving Bucky behind, the dog had a new pal — Jimi, his father’s golden retriever-Labrador-German shepherd mix.
“They played all the time,” Tom Wessells said. “They got along great.”
But Bucky’s contentment was short-lived. And in mid-January, he vanished.
Friends and family looked for him everywhere, including local animal shelters.
“He just flat-out disappeared,” said Tom Wessells, who broke the bad news to his son in a telephone call.
Mark was “pretty upset,” he said. “We thought Bucky was gone for good.”
Fast forward to Aug. 31, when Bucky and Mark were reunited.
“You’re not going to believe this,” he said to his father over the phone from Myrtle Beach. “I have Bucky.”

A stunned Tom Wessells replied, “Are you sure it’s the same dog?”
It was Bucky, no doubt about it.
In late August, the roving retriever was taken in by a Myrtle Beach resident who found him late one night while he was out walking his own dog.
The man kept Bucky for a few days, then took him to a veterinarian for a checkup. It was the vet who discovered a microchip placed under Bucky’s skin that had his name and Mark’s contact information.
“The vet asked him, ‘Are you Bucky?’ and he got really excited,” Mark Wessells said of his dog’s reaction. “It was probably the first time he’d heard his own name in months.”
A short time later, the two were reunited at the veterinarian’s office, where Bucky recognized his master immediately.
“It was pretty emotional,” said Mark, who has had Bucky since he was a puppy in Myrtle Beach. “I definitely had to hold back tears.”
Other than being protective of his food, Bucky’s travels haven’t changed him — he’s still extremely smart, mild-mannered and well-trained, Mark said. “It’s like he never left. He sleeps on my bed.”
Just how he got from Virginia to South Carolina will likely never be known, but his owner expects Bucky may have had some help along the way.
“He’s an escape artist,” Mark said. “He might have stayed with one person for a while until he got into good shape, then left. The guy who took him to the vet said that every time he turned around, Bucky was trying to get out and run down the street. He knew he was coming down here.”
Tom Wessells remains amazed by Bucky’s escapades.
“How he got from here to Myrtle Beach just blows my mind,” he said. “I couldn’t find my way without a map.”
And, no, the dog isn’t coming back to Frederick County to live.
“After all that, I think Mark’s going to keep him now,” Tom Wessells said, laughing.
Mark Wessells, who works in restaurants in Myrtle Beach and plays his own blend of acoustic music, is writing a song about his roving pooch, who he said he’s “just glad to have back.”
Fittingly, the ode to Bucky will be a blues tune.
Cynthia Cather Burton at [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Most dogs are remarkable. Their loyalty and love for humans is unmached. We can learn alot from them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Jim in NC said:
Most dogs are remarkable. Their loyalty and love for humans is unmached. We can learn alot from them.
Couldn't agree more. My own experiences mirror this thought.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Great story I love dogs and have all ways had 2 or 3 at 1 time. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts