Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying an old Ford 3400. I think the guy swapped out the back half with another machine. How can i tell if the donor was a 3400? Would a 2000 rear end fit and work? Am I wrong in assuming there are differences between the two rear ends?

·
Registered
477 Posts
If it's a 3400 backhoe, I think the rear end housings are different, if its a skip loader, they might be the same, The 2000 is going to have the liftarm/three point assembly. I haven't been around a 3400 in a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's a 3400 backhoe, I think the rear end housings are different, if its a skip loader, they might be the same, The 2000 is going to have the liftarm/three point assembly. I haven't been around a 3400 in a long time.
Yeah I don't know. They look the same to me, but my tractor knowledge is EXTREMELY limited.
I just wonder if the 3pt has the same lift capacity and if the drive axles are the same diameter, etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
A good New Holland parts guy might know.

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
3400 is the industrial version of the 3000. Only difference is a heavier front axle. I have one.
Rear was swapped out because they're a bit too lightweight for the weight of a backhoe over time.
If the one you're looking at has been swapped and doesn't have a hoe, it used to.
Cheaper and easier to replace with used than rebuild. Mine is about due for another.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3400 is the industrial version of the 3000. Only difference is a heavier front axle. I have one.
Rear was swapped out because they're a bit too lightweight for the weight of a backhoe over time.
If the one you're looking at has been swapped and doesn't have a hoe, it used to.
Cheaper and easier to replace with used than rebuild. Mine is about due for another.
I thought that might be the case, but haven't worked on too many of the industrials.

Thanks, fellas!. You've been a huge help.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Check the build date stamped on the axle housing where it mates to the trans.
See if the date is close to the tractors build date.
Many of the 2000's had round axle tubes while 3000's including the 3400 had square axle tubes.
2000 lift top as exposed spring for the top link, 3000 top link spring is covered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts