Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuild a Model B radiator

I’m looking for some guidance in rebuilding a Deere Model B radiator. My Model B is a 1948 but I am assuming that most of the radiators are pretty much alike.
Most of the pieces just bolt together, so my biggest question is: What type of gasket material should I use and if any gasket sealer should be used.
It was suggested, after I tore my radiator apart, to leave it alone (not tear it apart) and sandblast it using cardboard to protect the copper. I sort of wanted my radiator to look newish. I have also been told that since my Deere is styled, no one would be seeing the radiator. Still, I would know.
Rebuilding and painting it gives me the chance to paint the inside of the cast parts to minimize future rust.
I will always accept any pointers on this subject.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Your antifreeze acts as a rust inhibitor. Painting the inside may promote paint flaking and plug the radiator.

Take apart your radiator only if you cant get a tube repaired. Otherwise your breaking something that isnt broke yet.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
A radiator as it ages will get very fragile. Avoid handling the fins as much as possible. If anything, gently with your fingers or a small pair of needle nose pliers, straighten any bent fins. There is a tool that can be had called a "fin comb" that repair shops use to straighten large sections.

A core, if you must replace it is $212 from Steiner or Mcgrew Tractor. I am posting an image of how my radiator goes together, it should be similar to yours. The headers may be different. The gasket, item #20 has a part number of "A 2153 R". You can call your local John Deere dealer and ask them for it. Nearly all John Deere Parts are available. Major castings I dont believe are available anymore.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Lovesthedrive said:
A radiator as it ages will get very fragile. Avoid handling the fins as much as possible. If anything, gently with your fingers or a small pair of needle nose pliers, straighten any bent fins. There is a tool that can be had called a "fin comb" that repair shops use to straighten large sections.

A core, if you must replace it is $212 from Steiner or Mcgrew Tractor. I am posting an image of how my radiator goes together, it should be similar to yours. The headers may be different. The gasket, item #20 has a part number of "A 2153 R". You can call your local John Deere dealer and ask them for it. Nearly all John Deere Parts are available. Major castings I dont believe are available anymore.

[/quote

You wouldn't by chance have a blow up of an styled A radiator, like this one for the B would you ? If so, I'm needing some parts for my 39 A so the sheet with the part numbers would be tremendously helpful in addition to the blow up. If not, that's ok too, thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
we went threw all this with our 49 B all i can say is if it dont leak or isnt in need off any repair, just clean it up and paint it. use a wire brush to clean up the cast and just get what you can with and air hose and a water spray nozle. all in all our little adventure turned into a $600 recore job, oh wait then the fan broke and went threw that new recore and costed another $600 o recore it again 2 weeks later

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Lovesthedrive said:
Massey Man, go to the address http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/...HomePageServlet_Alt?irand=2720897561838874197

put in model "AR" with out the quotes. It will be a pdf file you can save to your hard drive for future info. I have not been able to figure out how to find it for the B.

The pic you are looking at above is for my 60, an assumption on my part that they are close to the same.
Excellent !! Thank you sir. I am in need of several minor parts, #44 for a start. Fortunately most of my 39 A radiator is in very good shape.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was planning on making the gasket out of bulk gasket material from NAPA. But NAPA has several types to choose from (synthetic, natural cork, thick, thin…). I tore the radiator down before I knew better. The core looks good but can’t tell till I put it all back together.

Back to my original question of what type of gasket should I be using, since I have to put this back together and I have more time than money?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts