Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if my Dad was spoofing or not, but he swore when having to have a drivers license became a law all you had to do was buy one for 25 cents. He told the story he bought his at the local SearsRobucks and renewed it ever since. Never once took a test and was blind in one eye. I'm assuming this had to be in the 1920's or thereabouts. He was born in '09. Anyone remember their parents talking about that ?? Or did my Dad really pull the wool over my eyes ??

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think that is like the one where I guy had a sear sucker suit.. :D Sears sold it and a sucker bought it.. never heard that before about buying them from any place but at DL county clerk office..

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bettyp said:
Back in those days you bought everything else at Sears Robucks ,so why not driver' licenses. Probably wasn't a county clerks office back in those days . I was borned in 30 & my Mom drove a Model T .I don't believe she had licenses ,she just drove . When my dad had to get rid of the Model T and got another car ,my Mom never ever drove again.
My Dad also told the story many times how he learned to work a team or horses back in the early 'teens from a hired hand that was a freed slave. He was a young boy during the civil war when the 13th amendment was passed. Dad also said he learned a tremendous amount about horse handling and care from the man whose name was merely " Joe ". When dad was 4 maybe 5 years old, Joe would hand him the reins as they hauled creek gravel to town laying roadbeds under what are the main roads through my hometown Festus, which at that time was known as " Tanglefoot". The name of Tanglefoot came about because of the number of taverns up and down Main Street and the tendacy to get your feet ' tangled ' walking to your horse after an evening of entertainment...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Back from the early 20s until I think the ealry 50s, in SC your license was a little metal tag, that had the same numbers as you license plate. I have the ones my great granfather had. When he had to get a paper license, he just didnt do it! But I remember my grandfather saying he got his from the hardware store, but had to go to the hwy dept afterwards to get it renewed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I got a special permit to drive my 1952 Chevy pickup when I was 14 in 1970. I could drive to get feed and fertilizer, any work around the farms and drive to school. No written or driving test. At 15 I took Drivers Ed, teacher sent in paperwork, I got a Drivers License. At 16, I bought a truck and hauled my own grain, hay and fertilizer. At 18 I bought a semi and hauled for hire, lumber, veneer and glue. When Oregon went to CDL, I got paperwork signed by the company I hauled for to be Grandfathered in. Never have taken a written or driving test. Have never had an accident or ticket. Was pulled over once for no mud flaps on a truck, wasn't my truck, just helping a friend....James

·
Registered
906 Posts
I took a test for my Va. drivers license on a CB750 Honda motorcycle. At one time I had a chaffeurs license to drive semis. I let that expire and had to take a test for my CDL.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
At the risk of getting in trouble that was the last job I had before retiring. I trained school bus drivers and was a third party tester for CDL's in Va. Speaking of which are any of your states requiring you to reregister your CDL's.. In Va. we have to register and they said it was some sort of Fed. Reg.Don't get it since they already have our records

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
926 Posts
On part of what You are saying, You weren't being spoofed. Dad was born in 1914 and bought His through one of the govt agencies, dis remember which one He said. Oklahoma didn't have a highway patrol dept. to my understanding until sometime in the 30's. The Sears and Roebuck liscenses here were a big joke. (musta got His liscence from Sears Roebuck) meant an extremely lousy and dangerous driver. ;)

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I remember my father telling several times this story;
The vehicle ahead of him in line would not pass the vehicle inspection because it had double headlights.
The owner of the vehicle (father of the testee) was very upset that his brand new vehicle could not be used to take a drivers test.

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
mgood said:
On part of what You are saying, You weren't being spoofed. Dad was born in 1914 and bought His through one of the govt agencies, dis remember which one He said. Oklahoma didn't have a highway patrol dept. to my understanding until sometime in the 30's. The Sears and Roebuck liscenses here were a big joke. (musta got His liscence from Sears Roebuck) meant an extremely lousy and dangerous driver. ;)
Mom was a Sears retiree, and I worked there many years part-time while in school, college, and after I moved back to the farm during Christmas season. I can not begin to count how many times I heard someone referring to getting their driver's license from S&R :!:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Jim in NC said:
mgood said:
Mom was a Sears retiree, and I worked there many years part-time while in school, college, and after I moved back to the farm during Christmas season. I can not begin to count how many times I heard someone referring to getting their driver's license from S&R :!:
Sometimes that must have been hard to work with from an employees stand point. Certainly no reflection was meant there.

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
mgood said:
Jim in NC said:
mgood said:
Sometimes that must have been hard to work with from an employees stand point. Certainly no reflection was meant there.
Melvin, it was a joke at Sears, too. Nobody ever took it seriously. I still hear it once in awhile. This will make you laugh. I often ask the person pushin' the elevator buttons if we happen to board an elevator with others if they have an elevator operator's license. Yep, I get all kinds of funny looks. Ennyway, if I can and depending upon who is in the elevator, I have been known to get in a corner and as the elevator takes off, I jump and spread my arms out and push against the walls like I am bracing for something. Of course that makes some of the passengers do some funny things. I haveta be careful cuz I don't want to upset anybody or cause a heart attack. Life it too short not to have some fun once in a while. ;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
That is good Jim; and You sure are right about life being too short not to have all the honest clean fun we can have ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts