Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times have you seen it in the business title of a law or medical firm, or on business cards? Mr. or Mrs. John Doe for the practice of law or the practice of "fill in blank of medical specialty" such as oncology. Do clients of lawyers or medical patients really want people "practicing" to solve their concerns? I'd prefer someone experienced, past the practicing stage.

Hopefully, I have explained this phenomenia so now for my experience with a practicing attorney. The attorney we contracted to prepare our deed for our new farm, Mom's farm, is located just across the county line about 4 miles away. He is a good guy, was thorough, and addressed our questions about how to title the property.

The deed was written, all signatures were obtained, and sent to the courthouse for recording. We finally got it back about a week ago. There was something very pecular about it. It had been recorded in the county where his office is located, not in the county where the farm is located. :shock: :? :roll:

We returned it to his office last week so the problem could be corrected. I asked his paralegal if we would get a property tax bill from both counties in a joking manner, but to illustrate my concern. :shock: :evil:

Things often happen that remind me of something a college political science professor said in class many years ago. It goes something like "laws are written by lawyers(politicians) for the benefit of lawyers." I ain't saying that my local guy is like that, but it kinda puts things into perspective considering the way our gubbermint seems to be functioning these days.

So we continue to wait. Something that was said to take 2 or 3 weeks when we began this process in late March continues. Maybe doctors and lawyers have to keep practicing until they get it right :!: :roll: :idea: :eek: :(

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Regarding the "Practice" of Law or Medicine

Been thinking about that myself Jim. Just can't understand how they can charge Rediculous prices when they are only practicing. Hate to see what they charge when they actually become professionals???????????

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts

Interesting Jim, sorry for your dilemma, but I agree, and think performance would be a better term than practice.
After all surgeons do Perform an operation, or procedure, as they call it nowadays. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

petra79 said:
Been thinking about that myself Jim. Just can't understand how they can charge Rediculous prices when they are only practicing. Hate to see what they charge when they actually become professionals???????????
Don't forget the thousands of hours of studying and book learnin' required plus the expense of it all. I believe many of them do not receive much value from their investments.

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

BigDaveinKY said:
Interesting Jim, sorry for your dilemma, but I agree, and think performance would be a better term than practice.
After all surgeons do Perform an operation, or procedure, as they call it nowadays. ;)

Not to be argumentative Dave, but not all doctors are surgeons. Based upon a neighbor's recent experience, she would label many doctors as "guessers".

·
Registered
270 Posts

The principal lawyer for a firm here was very visible as the spokesman for the firm, specializing in criminal law. He ran up such a large bill for advertising that the creditors forced the firm into bankruptcy. He announced that the money was owed by the firm, not by him. He resigned from that firm and immediately started a new firm with a new name - and he's still advertising his services.

A new attorney in this area is advertising a lot on every channel, specializing in bankruptcy cases. It wouldn't surprise me it this attorney went bankrupt too.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts

Jim in NC said:
BigDaveinKY said:

Not to be argumentative Dave, but not all doctors are surgeons. Based upon a neighbor's recent experience, she would label many doctors as "guessers".
Just an example Jim, they could perform family medicine just as well. ;)
Your neighbors experience reminded of my brides long ago. When her symptoms had our Doctor looking through his book. :shock:
It didn't make me real confident in his ability. :?

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The lady I reference above sells at the farmers market along with her husband. She has been having severe back pain for about 6 months. She has been to doctors countless times, and it appeared that surgery was in her future. She went to another doctor not long ago and his results indicate a pinched nerve. Totally different and much easier to treat than anything she had heard before. Sounds promising, but whom should she believe? :roll:

·
Registered
926 Posts

Jim i have been wondering the same things myself. Wonder what would happen if a guy needing to borrow money for farming ranching operation went into the bank and said He was practicing farming ranching?????????

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

mgood said:
Jim i have been wondering the same things myself. Wonder what would happen if a guy needing to borrow money for farming ranching operation went into the bank and said He was practicing farming ranching?????????
Maybe the word "practice" gives the practitioner a way out or an escape clause from an activity? A crafty lawer could make that argument.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Wheww from here the sky is the limit. :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After nearly 4 months of "practicing", the deed is done and has been officially recorded in the right county. The latest twist in this affair came earlier this week when we were told that the recording could not be done in the "right" county until the "wrong" county unrecorded it and issued the tax refund so it could be paid to the "right" county. We were told that might take a few weeks.
During that conversation, Mrs. Jim "politely" told the paralegal of three things we needed to do, but could not until the ownership of the property was officially changed. When in March we were told it would be a 2 to 3 week process, we figured that these other things would not be a problem. But 4 months later was pushing things a bit.
We got a call yesterday that things were complete, and we made arrangements too pick up the deed today.
For the sake of other clients, I hope the attorney has finisned the "practicing" stage :!: :shock: :?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts