Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a late model John Deere A,1952, with stuck engine.
The shop manual instructs to remove tappet cover then turn flywheel so that all valves are closed.
Problem is my engine is stuck
How should I proceed?

·
Administrator
4,153 Posts
Valves need to be closed so there's no spring pressure on the head.
I would just back off the head bolts equally until the head is loose and there's no pressure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just took apart my 47 A a few months ago, if I remember correctly what I did was pull the tappet cover, then you should see the rocker arm being held with 2 or 4 bolts. I pulled those bolts slowly until the rocker arm was off, then slid the pushrods out. There is also an oil line you have to undo then out comes the head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, that makes sense to a non mechanic.
Thanks again,
Lucky for me, the valves were closed and it was easy to remove the head. Clean most of the rust from the cylinders and now trying to remove pistons. Cylinders had been soaking for two months with penetrating oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was supposed to be with my last post.
I also had a common long on the flywheel with pressure against it for the two months while oil was soaking. Tried to wooden block and large hammer with no luck of freeing the Pistons, also tried small air chisel against a quarter inch plate of steel against the Pistons, now have screw Jack putting pressure on block of wood against the Pistons and leaving it overnight. Thinking about getting a larger air hammer against a wooden block on the pistons. Don't want to pull the head as I'm doing this by myself.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I use a mixture of automatic transmission fluid, marvel mystery oil, and diesel fuel or kerosene. Its always soaked stuff loose over time. Sometimes takes awhile for it to come loose. Ive found if i force things like that too much, I end up doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a late model John Deere A,1952, with stuck engine.
The shop manual instructs to remove tappet cover then turn flywheel so that all valves are closed.
Problem is my engine is stuck
How should I proceed?
Oops! I misspoke I already pulled the head it's the block I don't want to pull.
I'm thinking about using a electric Hammer with a block of wood against the stuck Pistons . About 50 lb hammer.
What do you think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts