·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Got back at it and started to install cabling for hand clutch
IMG_1130.JPG

Large cable to tighten belt pulley, small for brake on axle
IMG_1131.JPG

Will take more pics later on how it works but got frustrated as I snapped small cable for brake and now I have to disassemble hand clutch to replace cable. May have to go to a bigger cable or a different way of attaching to brake, was using a Clevis and a set screw to pinch cable but set screw cut through cable and it snapped when pressure was applied. Getting dark, and getting tired, will go at it again when I get a chance. I may also have figured out how I am going to mount the gas tank, probably in the front with the gas cap in the area where the rad cap would usually be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
You will get there. I have gotten "stuck" many times while working on something. If it is not needed immediately I often take a break from it. Sometimes the mind will drift back to it and produce a different way to solve the problem.

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
In my opinion after working with cables for over 30 years hoisting heavy equipment.
If one doesn't have crimpers for cable sleeves. The best way to hold a cable end is a thimble and clips.
Then use an anchor shackle or a D shackle to connect it.
Just another thought

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was thinking of looping the cable also, might solve my problem

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Placed hood on to see how it fits
IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0035.JPG

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
:good: Good deal. Getting closer to done.

Reactions: John P

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow it has been almost 2 years since I worked on the replica, got throttle cable installed, had to install a bracket for support after the first try resulted in some issues.
replica throttle.png
replica throttle1.png
replica throttle2.png

·
Registered
326 Posts
I can see where the bracket would give the cable support
and keep it from binding when using it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
They are adding on to the subdivsion I am in and they tore up my yard for the electrical services. I made a 3' land leveler to smooth out the high spot in the mess they left me. Hooked up the replica to see what it could do but found the main drive belt slipping, will have to add a tightener to belt tensioner to keep the belt tight.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Been working on this project for a few years now, trying to make a 1/2 scale replica of a John Deere H that I use to own.

Started out with this Gilson lawnmower.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Progressed to this.

Got it running on Sunday

If you want to see more pictures of how I got to where it stands now click on link below.
http://www.canadianantiquetractor.com/tractorforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2239
Here is a new link to the whole project as the old link goes to a forum that doesn't exist any more.

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
Looks like it's moving pretty good. I guess you got your belt tension problem fixed.
Other than finishing the sheet metal what's left to do? I'm looking forward to seeing it all finished.
I'm not sure your dog thinks too highly of it though. ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes the belt tensioning is fixed, installed a belt 2 inches shorter and installed an adjustment bolt to tighten belt tensioner. Still need to find a way to move belt pulley to run and idle position, install the draw bar, install slow moving vehicle sign, screen in the front grill, installing a fake rad and fan, installing fake gas tank caps in hood and of course paint. There is probably more I will find to do as I go on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes the belt tensioning is fixed, installed a belt 2 inches shorter and installed an adjustment bolt to tighten belt tensioner. Still need to find a way to move belt pulley to run and idle position, install the draw bar, install slow moving vehicle sign, screen in the front grill, installing a fake rad and fan, installing fake gas tank caps in hood and of course paint. There is probably more I will find to do as I go on.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Made up a draw bar and installed it
thumbnail_IMG_1850.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1852.jpg

21 - 36 of 36 Posts