Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up this morning, ate breakfast, and hit the road on the bike. I rode up the "Colonial Parkway", a slow scenic route from the Yorktown Battlefield to the Jamestown Settlement. The scenery is beautiful (no commercial signs) and well signed. If you are in the area and not in a hurry you should try it, and while you are at it go to the recreated Jamestown settlement. I'v been before and it is amazing, well worth the price of admission.
I HAD A BALL!!! :D :D :D :D The wife said she'd have to beat me to get the smile off my face! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Glad to hear about your ride Dave. Sounds like a very pleasant way to enjoy your road to recovery :!:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I feel great. I'm a bit weak from all that idle time, but I get stronger every day. I'm back to walking at the mall with the "Old Folks". A gang of us meet at the shopping mall three times a week and walk about a mile and a half, then get a drink and sit down to settle the worlds problems. Oh, they open the mall early for us to walk. All the stores are closed, but part of the food court opens for us. Ain't much, but it's something.
Sure felt good to get back on the bike!

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride and place to visit. Best medicine you can get. Doing something you love. ;)
I used to service the escalators in several malls in the mornings before they opened. A different store every morning for years.
I would take my break, and sit and have a cup, and chat with the "old folks", and listen to them try to solve my problems. (on the equipment :lol: )
I could always tell the retired mechanics, and maintenance men. It's one of the things I really miss about not working.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Dave, you can still go to the mall and talk with the "Old Folks", we don't really care. Come on! :D :D

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Since I'm gettin' to be one of those "old folks", I most likely would, if there was a mall less than an hours drive from here, that opened for walkers.
I'll have to settle for the Hardees coffee gang, or the local convenient /fast food/gas store just a mile down on the corner. ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Both you Daves .it just good for all of us to get out and be with other people . We may not get the world's problem all solve but it makes us not dwell on our own problems so much. Have fun guys.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today looked like rain, but six of my buddies wanted to go for a ride as it was supposed to rain yesterday. Well we rode nearly a hundred-fifty miles.
Had a delicious meal at Whitleys Barbeque in Murfreesboro NC. That's what we do, take a ride and eat a good meal. If a restaurant isn't clean and serving good food we don't go a second time! :D :D
I'm feeling better all the time! :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Good for you biker Dave. Glad you are feeling that well. i believe a good cycle ride and good meal is great for you . Just keep it up.

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Glad yall had a great time Dave :!: Have you ever had the western style of NC barbeque? That is what is mostly served here. It and the slaw that goes with it is doused with a tomato-based dip as opposed to the vinegar based one offered in eastern style. They are both great. If near Greenville, we go to B's.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim, we will go to Greenville, NC for good barbeque. Where is "B's"? Matter of fact we haven't found a good place to eat in Greenville, NC yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Dave, if my memory is correct, it is located on NC43 west of Greenville about 5 miles out of town towards Rocky Mount. It has been a few years since we have been there, but we always went there upon the advice of a Greenville police officer when our daughter was in college in Greenville. It is not a big fancy building. It is a small, older country store type building with a cooking building behind it. They cook only a limited amount each day, pork and chicken, with wood. They start in the early morning hours and began selling at 10am until sold out. One can order inside or outside from a take out window. There are a few seats inside, or one can go outside and sit at picnic tables under big oak trees. The cooking and smoke smells make your mouth water. It is very informal and was a trip back into time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts