Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my nephew took over his folks farm some 20 years ago, I decided that the best way that I could help him was to buy tools for him as his Dad had just a few old tools on the place. I have him so well stocked with tools now that I don't know what to get him anymore. I sent him a whole pickup load of tools and hardware when I closed my workshop and moved to a new home in the city without a shop. His farm is 40 miles from a decent supply of hardware so he really enjoys digging in the hardware I sent him that saves him a trip to town.

His Dad passed away a couple years ago, just 6 days short of his 90th birthday. His mother (my sister) passed away last November 11 and his wife died of cancer just 32 days later, leaving him with 3 kids ages 12, 14 and 16. My wife and I have been periodocally filling medium flat rate boxes with various school supplies and miscellaneous things for the kids this summer to show that someone cares about them, but we're running out of ideas of things they can use. We included individual bags of Planters peanuts to fill the voids in the previous boxes and last week we did a switch and packed in individual packages of Jerky that the kids devoured in a couple of days.

My nephew says the kids really enjoy the packages; they stand head-to-head over the boxes and decide how to share the items. We're kind of racking our brains about what to get for the next box. Their school starts next week and we have them pretty well supplied with basic needs.

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe some pre-cut ready to assemble and paint bird houses for the farm? I could probably put up 20-30 of them here and still have birds looking for one.
Though I bet most anything you send they will love and enjoy..

·
Registered
906 Posts
Dick, you didn't say what the kids are (besides kids). Teenagers are impossible and boys are very different from girls. In any case, electronic games are well received as well as portable music thingies.

·
849 Posts
Camera? Paint brushes and paints or a sketch pad or similar art supplies? Harmonica? Leatherworking materials? Books? Binoculars? Pocket knives? They're at an age to develop interests that will carry them throughout their lives.

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Mrs. Jim, former science teacher, and I thought of a few things. If they are responsible with gift cards and with dad's guidance, they might need clothing and shoes for school as well as specific supplies needed for certain classes. They may find out after school starts that they need "special" things. I remember once our daughter needed a certain calculator for a math class. Just an idea...

·
Super Moderator
1,701 Posts
I second the idea of gift cards. Teenagers have there own "taste" in clothes nowadays. Might even throw in some homemade cookies. (well packed) I always enjoyed them :D :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts