Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just a month ago or so, my neighbor lady's well went out....well this Sunday the 22nd at 2 p.m. MrsMassey informed me that the well stopped in the middle of doing laundry. Grabbed the meter and checked the capacitor, its good; checked the relay, its good also; reset the breaker and pump draws 32 amps each leg (locked rotor amps) and trips the breaker again. Bad news, pump is bad. Sorry for the sideways picture, I don't know how to rotate it.....

Son in law lives 499' from my front doorstep, (we measured it one day) called him to hook up the new 4000 to the well rig and start setting it up while I run to town for the new pump. We have a local farm store that stocks them and gives 10% discount with a military ID or a DD 214 (discharge papers). Couldn't send MrsMassey alone, we'd lose the discount. I could squat down a little bit farther if MrsMassey wasn't such a good cook.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

At 400', it is entirely too much to attempt by hand and not wanting to risk dropping it back into the well, we use this 'casing jack' to hold the pipe in place while disconnecting the raised section. This is my Dad's old casing jack we used many times when I was a kid with a pipe tri pod built on the back of an old '56 Ford F 250 and hand cranked winch.

My crew is getting quite well trained, Tessa handling the wire, Tyler and myself doing the piping, SIL Mike laying down and disconnecting the swivel and MrsMassey on the power switch. Beginning to lose track now of the number of wells we've done as a crew, but its at least a dozen....

All out, well casing empty, the old pump on the pipe vise disconnecting the foot valve to go into the new pump.

This pic is out of secquence, only about 6 sections from completing the Sunday afternoon task.

New pump on the pipe vise, installing the foot valve and wiring it up. We use heat shrink plus amalgamating tape over the heat shrink to make as close to a waterproof wire connection as possible. At least on an impromptu Sunday afternoon 'walk in the park' pump replacement.... :lol: :lol: :lol: I think MrsMassey just commented about how handsome I was that afternoon...that must be the reason for such a startled expression.... :lol: :lol:

Should be able to count (20) 20' sections of 1" pvc laying on the 4x4's just a waiting to go back in the hole !!! We lay the pipe on 4x4's, but still we have to clean them with rags as they are dropped back in the hole.

Sorry about having another well related story so close to the last one, but... it's different this time because it's at MY house. So all the pictures are NEW.
I don't remember on the last story if I got a good shot of the 3 to 1 ratio increaser by using a jack shaft or not...but here it is, complete with greased oak adjustable chain tensioner... From start to finish including the 24 mile round trip to town, it had taken 5 hours. 2:00 p.m. start and was in the shower by 7:00 even with a new filter cartridge in the whole house filter. It'll be changed within a week too because of the sediment in the pipes that's knocked loose.

Even had a little help from the little guy. The next picture will show you how much this story differs from the last, please don't proceed if you have a weak stomach for a little scrape on the shin....

This is why I shouldn't work in tennis shoes. My feet were wet and I slipped out of the back of my truck and I found out that the trailer hitch is just slightly tougher than the skin on my shin... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: Today, it is really starting to feel reeeeeeeaaaaaalllllll good !!!
Ok ok, no more well stories for a while.....I hope. Man this is getting old !!! I have a whole row of tractors waiting on me to get busy.....
I just previewed the pics, and you are RIGHT, that last one is GROSS !!! But what the heck it'll feel better when it quits hurting !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Wendell was I suppose to laugh :? :? ?, if I wasn't sorry :eek: :eek: already messed that up. You make hard work so funny that I really thought you were playing a family game. Sorry about your messy bloody leg because I did laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I was laughing so hard when I got to that pic I couldn't get stop in time. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry I laugh ,just pretend that I didn't laugh . Wendell you are so funny , thanks for the laugh. Glad you got water now . I know Mary was happy to get the wash finished.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Wendell I'm going to say it again that is a slick setup you built. I was want to mention that it was nice to see that after MrsMassey saw the "problem" she caused she was kind enough to get you a bucket. :D :D :D I'm also glad to see that when she saw how hot it was she unselfishly made sure you had a good breeze and a cool drink so as not to overheat. :D I have to admit when I first saw the fan I had a flashback of your allis for a minute. Sorry you had the trouble but glad you got it fixed and with the help of faimly it had to make it seem not as bad. Sorry about the leg, done that one myself a couple of times and if your luck goes like mine you will find ever trailer hitch and anything else for the next couple of days.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bettyp said:
Wendell was I suppose to laugh :? :? ?, if I wasn't sorry :eek: :eek: already messed that up. You make hard work so funny that I really thought you were playing a family game. Sorry about your messy bloody leg because I did laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I was laughing so hard when I got to that pic I couldn't get stop in time. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry I laugh ,just pretend that I didn't laugh . Wendell you are so funny , thanks for the laugh. Glad you got water now . I know Mary was happy to get the wash finished.

Yes, MissBetty, you were supposed to laugh and I am glad you did !!!! Your comment made my day...MrsMassey came from her sewing room just to see what I was laughing about....glad to see you've forgiven me for whispering about those 'John Deeres'... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gordon, MrsMassey sure is a good gal...thinking about me ALL the time !!! The fan , the bucket AND the big belly is all because of her being soooooooo good to me !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't blame my clumsiness and skinned shin on her though...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I love your dog Wendall how come he didn''t get to come to KY? :lol:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck there buddy. But as I read this I couldn't help to think how the world would be so much better if more had your ability to laugh through lifes inevitable bumps. Hope your leg don't get too sore! ;) ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Wendell I read this again this morning and this time to my husband. Sorry he didn't get to meet you and your Family . Hate to tell you but I laughed again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You make it so funny and interesting. How is your leg doing ? :( :( Hope it is not giving you any trouble. I can hardly wait for the 3rd verse of this Song. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Glad you had some help Wendell, and sorry you got hurt. I guess it's good that sometimes our wimmens help us out of trouble. What they would never admit though, it because of our compassion for them that we get in trouble so much :!: :shock: :eek: :?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bettyp said:
Wendell I read this again this morning and this time to my husband. Sorry he didn't get to meet you and your Family . Hate to tell you but I laughed again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You make it so funny and interesting. How is your leg doing ? :( :( Hope it is not giving you any trouble. I can hardly wait for the 3rd verse of this Song. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, MissBetty, I would post an updated picture of my leg....but I'm afraid I may get kicked off the forum !! :lol: :lol: Oh, it's healing quite nicely, swollen and hot and red, but it'll be ok in a while. BikerDave is right about it hurting a bit when ya wear out your hide. I've skidded down the blacktop a time or two thanks to a motorsickle with a mind of its own !!! :roll: :roll: :roll: Glad to hear you are sharing my pain with Henry !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And I hope the third verse doesn't come ANYTIME SOON !!!! :D :D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts