Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BIL wth the tractor he helped to put together in 1956,the people he worked for went to USA and bought it, their fathers
went on the same journey and brought the first Allis Chalmers here in 1930s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Never have seen one of these. What is the history of Sheppard tractor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That one must have been made 1954 because after they bought it,it was stripped down and put in crates and shipped all
the way to NZ then it was put on the rail to go to the end of that line which was about 30 miles from the farm they trucked
it home and spent some time getting it out of crates and assembling it,a 4 cylinder 318 cubic inch Diesel engine 51 hp it had a tourque
converter and 10 speed gearbox and power steering so it was way ahead of other tractors here could pull a 5 bottom plough
my BIL said the power was tremendous the only fault it had was the Tourque converter overheating in the extreme heat he
told me once the gauge started to climb was time to go down a gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Good solid machine, looks like it could hanlde 100hp plus. Do not recall hearing any of these here in Oz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aussie John said:
Good solid machine, looks like it could hanlde 100hp plus. Do not recall hearing any of these here in Oz.
Aussie John I think that it was the only one to come here,it was imported by the McCaw family from the Hakataramea Valley
they had a big farm my BIL told me it took all day to get around the paddocks with the Allis Chalmers with three furrows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Colin, If that was on Haka Station, they bought a new IH Farmall 806 4WD in the mid '60's in through the Oamaru IH dealership. I wonder if it is still around?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Peacher79 said:
Never have seen one of these. What is the history of Sheppard tractor?
Built in Hanover, Pennsylvania by the R.H. Sheppard Company. Mr. Sheppard was a great inventor & business man, creating many designs for power steering assemblies & other items. They are a family owned co. and still in business as a pattern shop, foundry & machine shop, making castings and parts for JD, CNH, and Volvo, as well a their well known power steering gears for heavy trucks. They just completed a museum in Hanover as well, and there are still examples of his machines locally. The York County Industrial Museum has one in neighboring York, PA (anyone travelling this direction should stop in & see that place)! I worked for them about 20 years ago right out of college...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
jhaydeno said:
Peacher79 said:
Never have seen one of these. What is the history of Sheppard tractor?
Built in Hanover, Pennsylvania by the R.H. Sheppard Company. Mr. Sheppard was a great inventor & business man, creating many designs for power steering assemblies & other items. They are a family owned co. and still in business as a pattern shop, foundry & machine shop, making castings and parts for JD, CNH, and Volvo, as well a their well known power steering gears for heavy trucks. They just completed a museum in Hanover as well, and there are still examples of his machines locally. The York County Industrial Museum has one in neighboring York, PA (anyone travelling this direction should stop in & see that place)! I worked for them about 20 years ago right out of college...
I did not know about the museum or that they were still involved. Its a few hours away from me,but I do get out that way a good bit. Do they have a website with info?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Have a friend that has 4 of the Sheppard tractors, 1 SD2 (2cylinder) 2 SD3 (3 cylinder) and 1 SD4 (4 cylinder) that are restored. They are a heavy built tractor and all a were diesels!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
I talked to a man few years ago his family had 2 of them when he grew up.. He said it was all his father could do to keep them running. He said they never was running when both ran. They would work one till it quit and the old man would have the other running and when it quit he would have the other running again..He said it keep his father busy till they got rid of them.. ;)
Here one that comes to Renfo Valley Show
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top