Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that if I'm using my 8N more than 30 minutes or so, the lift becomes very, very slow to respond. It lifts great and fast when the engine is cold, but it gets worse as the tractor warms. Thought it might be an oil pressure issue. But I'm running 20w50 in it and figured that would be thick enough even as the oil warmed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
My friend Harold had the same issued witha 2N and he changed the hydraulic lift oil and it fixed it....could it be that its gettin older and too thin when it warms up? Just a guess

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
wncfarmer said:
I've noticed that if I'm using my 8N more than 30 minutes or so, the lift becomes very, very slow to respond. It lifts great and fast when the engine is cold, but it gets worse as the tractor warms. Thought it might be an oil pressure issue. But I'm running 20w50 in it and figured that would be thick enough even as the oil warmed. Any suggestions?

so he's running 20w50 oil in the tranny/diffy/hyds sump?

that's the wrong oil.

1, the tranny and diffy will wear out as that engine oil does not provide the correct type of ep lubes needed.

2, the lift was originally designed for a mild ep ( gl1/3) 90wt oil.

modern UTF oil can be used, especially in cold climates where hyds are slow.

if a lift is getting slower after startup.. it's usully indicative of wear and leaks. as the leak volume approaches pump volume.. lift speed and strength drop off.

time to pull the hyd side cover and look at the oil and check for leaks.

water entrained oil also exhibits poor lift qualities.

post back with more details.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Ford actually makes the right blended oil for these N's trannys. It is a special blend so prtects the hydrolics as well as tranny. Don't forget there are three drains on it too.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
yep.. the m2c134d spec oil generically called UTF fluid.. or ambraG at a nh dealer will work. if hte lift is weak and leaky it may need repair first.

G

·
Our 9N would not work with UTF in NW Ind. Would work until it warmed up then nothing. It absolutely needed the 90 wt. After that change it never failed. Worked great winter/summer. I would still pull the side cover as Soundguy stated and check for leaks as well.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I've never used it but have heard that the Lucas additive can help restore and help the slow lift. Like I said don't know only have heard.Guess like Chris said need to pull the plate to see what's going on inside first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have clarified....20w50 in the engine. But i thought that if the engine oil pressure went down as the engine warms, that might affect how much power the pump had. I'm running agricultural hydraulic trans fluid in the tranny/pump. The fluid in it is only 2 months old. I've pulled that cover off before and looked at the pump, but I'm not sure if I know how to go about checking for leaks. Will it be obvious as the pump lifts/lowers? Will water in the fluid tend to cloud it like on a car rear end? Thanks for all the info!!!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
naa.. pump pressure and speed is a function of engine rpm only.

engine oil pressure will not effect hyd pump pressure as long as rpm stays up.

leaks it the hyd pump or lift cyl will bleed flow off and thus reduce ultimate pressure and lift, as well as lift speed, etc.

yep.. water inthe oil will emulsify and cloud it.

lift a load, remove dipstick inspection plate. have a flashlight ready, kill engine.. look in the sump as the lift drops.. many times there will be oil from the hyd cyl mouth if it is a bad bore / piston ring issue.. etc.

other areas of leaks ar ethe stand pipe ( pin hole ).. top and bottom cover gasket, hyd chamber gaskets.. gaskets unde rthe hyd cyl to top cover, relief valve.. etc. damage to chambers and controll valve..e tc. usually in that order of likelyhood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts