Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my 2003 bee keeping journal, which I have handed over to Kare to do.

April 21st. 2003 Set a new record of day time high today 83F. Walking in the yard bees were working the flowering Quinces bushes and the flowering tree by the pole barn. Wish I knew what that tree was as it is one of the first to flower and the bees just cover it every year.

April 23d, A cold wet rain started during the night, Changed to freezing rain by the noon hour. Temp at 3:00 PM is 29F, with a wind chill of 19F. Snow started at 4:00PM, 5 inches on the ground when I went out to run the dogs at 6:30PM.

April 24th, Cold outside this morning @ 19F still snowing. a full 12 inches on the ground when I went out at 9:30 AM to run the pups. Wind strong enough to about strip the skin off exposed areas.

April 25th. Still snowing at 9:30 AM when I went out to run the pups. Stopped by 11:00 AM and the sun came out. Tempture climbed to 59F by 5:00 PM. bee came out on clensing flights. Snow nearly all melted away by 6:30PM when the pups and I went on our evening run.

April 26th, Much warmer today. Good thing!! Club meeting this (early) evening and we are going to install 2 packages. Got stung on the left hand twice.

April 28th, Met Keith in town on his way up north to fish. (current SEMBA President). Picked up the package of bees she won at the SEMBA Bee Conferance raffle 3 weeks ago. Stings from the 26th still itching.

April 29th Installed Kares bees in the hive (hope they like that plastic stuff.) in the front yard behind the dog woods.
Inspected BL-4 hive as they were carrying out small white pills. White pills were chill brood, more still in the cells. Found the queen she was to good of a layer it appears, more brood than bees to cover it during the cold snap.

Now is that were we are headed this spring? Days of record temps and a night time low perdicted for Tuesday evening of 29F? Lots of stuff blooming only to be killed off by a cold snap?

:D Al

·
Registered
906 Posts
We really need a freezing snap to kill off these darn mosquitos, shame all the crops and flowers that would be killed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts