Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some times you really should listen to what people are saying about a bussiness. Late May 1969 I wanted a boat for fishing and on occation water sking. I really wanted a totaly new boat and motor but only having worked off the farm for a year and a car payment the Credit Union where I had my savings wouldn't make the loan for the extra I needed for a brand new boat.
I started shopping for a good nice used one> I was able to try out some that people had on lakes but for one reason or another they wern't what I wanted. I finally went to a dealer In Cadillac Michigan ( no longer in bussiness.) to see what they had.
I had heard some people saying the dealer ship was not trust worthy and the service just plain out and out sucked some thing awful. I decided not to pay any mind to the stories. Sales man after listening to what I was looking for set up a used trailer with a new safte mate 1968 hull left over from the year before and a rebuilt 35HP evenrude motor.
The deal was made I paid out my money and headed for the lake close to home. I was told that since the motor had just been rebuilt to not run it for very long wide open till I had used a 5 gallon tank of gas mix. foinally the day came when I could open the motor up for a long run, Mom and I had been trolling for some bass that morning, nearing noon we decided we needed to get home for lunch and do some chores. I turned the boat for the launch opening it wide open for the run probably 500 yards. About 100 yards short of the launch the motor seized up tight. I had to paddle ithe boat the rest of the way to shore. I got it loaded up on the trailer with a sick feeling eatting at me.
We get home eat lunch do the chores all the time with that sick feeling. With the chores finished Dad and I went to the dealers with the boat and motor. We explain that it had been babied for several weeks and the first time we could really go fast it froze up. He gave me a bunch of crap about fixing it so I told him that it was less than 60 days so I could have a lawyer talk to him about making good on the warrenty he had said was on it at the time of sale.
He finally said he would fix it. I told him to check the water pump as it didn't seem to pmp the amount of water other motors like it I had seen.

Two weeks came and went, on the third weekend it was finally ready to go. The same routine baby it for 5 gallons of fuel mix. I did it just the same only this time when the day came to open it up it blew bearings and other crap all over inside the boat.
This time the Dealer flat refused to fix it at all. I went home all depressed thinking that labor day week end was coming up and I wanted to ski and have some fun with the family andf friends.
Dad said I should go to the bank in town and see if I could get a loan for about half the cost of a new motor. First I needed to find a new motor and not from the crap dealer. I found a 65HP merc and they said they could have it on the boat in and hour after I got it there. I went to the bank with my dad, we got the loan but it was a weird set up paying so much every 30 days and paying it off in 90 days.
I took the boat to the Merc dealer walked in and told him I had the money and the boat was out side. they stripped all the evenrude stuff off the boat and had the new Merc stuff installed in less than an hour. the service guy said I should come with him for the first test run acroiss the lake . We crused out of thwe tiny bay into the main lake, once there the service guy stood the boat on its tail and flew across Lake Caddillac. A short slow run thru the canal got us in Lake Mitchell where the boat was stood on her tail again for a quick trip around the lake and back to the canal. We ran wide open back to the marina then loaded the boat on the trailer. the service guy said I could do what ever I wanted with the motor as it was broke in.
I had to hire a lawyer to fix the evenrude even though I really wanted my money from it back. I ended up a year latter tradeing the evenrude for a motor cycle which I enjoyed for many years. It was 1998 when I put the boat and motor up for sale as I had just bought a new 19 footer with A Mecury motor on it of course. My dad ended up buying that old Safty Mate because he couldn't handle the bigget boat at the launch.
I am really glad Kare talked me into the 19 foot boat as it handles the great lakes much better than a smaller boat would have when they get ruff. Both lake Huron and Big Bay De Noc get really ruff at times. Yes that 19 foot boat will catch a lot of wind when your trying to load her on the trailer but when you hold your moth just right and only cuss the wind mildly it will load fine.

:D Al

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really. I had to hire a lawyer which isn't a cheap thing even back in those days. I also had spend nearly a whole summer on a lake with a boat I could have about paddled by hand as fast. I also had to buy a new motor to be able to enjoy the boat.

the fellow who traded me had problems with the motor too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once I got the new moter on that boat it was a very good boat and I had years of enjoyment from it. We would take it to Saginaw bay and spend the day trolling for walleye and salmon. then the next day go to our small local lake and spoend the day water skiing. I had it till 1998 when I bought my retirement boat a 19' Starcraft profisher with a 115 Merc. out board.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts