Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello antique tractor community,

I recently bought a home built in the greater Portland area in the 1920's. Behind the garage is a tall post, with what seemed to be a giant wagon wheel, I assumed it was meant to be for hanging laundry on, except it's directly behind the garage and doesn't get sunlight. So, I decided to dig it up and move it. After digging over 3 feet into the ground, it seemed to have the normal cemented post except the post is made of metal, and clearly attached to the post (or axle?) The wheel also spins, so it works. All parts of it are made of metal. After some google image searching it looks like the closest thing I could find is some sort of horse drawn seed drill. I don't currently have pictures to post, but I'll work on that asap.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

CrimsonRammbler

·
Administrator
4,191 Posts
Hello and welcome.
Sounds feasible. Lots of old equipment has been transformed into yard art.
A photograph would go a long way helping to identify it.
Could have been used to hang parts to paint and let dry, during restorations.
Would be a reason it was out of the sun.

·
Super Moderator
8,276 Posts
Welcome Crimsonrammbler to ATF! Looking forward to the pics.

·
Administrator
4,191 Posts
A planter or hay rake would be my best guess from the size or even a sickle bar mower.
Looks to me like the original axle was cut and sleeved over a pipe to plant in the ground.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The size and the hub; made me think --dump rake. as also suggested by Mr. Orange from KY.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The wheel & hub look the same as the hay rake I recently pulled apart. The hub has internal teeth to engage the tine lift mechanism.

Maybe someone was going to add radial arms to the wheel, run wire around the arms to make it into a rotary clothes line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts