Antique Tractors Forum banner

Split Hydraulics to sickle mower, WD45

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  BigDaveinKY 
#1 ·
Hope you all are having a great spring.

I was able to get an old sickle mower for a good price (wheeled pull behind).

I have one hydraulics hose that is connected to my front end loader. The sickle mower has 2 hoses (one for blades up and one for blades down I believe). Do you know of a relatively affordable/easy fix apart from hopping up and down every time I need to put the blade up or down?

#4 ·
You're tractor is pressure up and gravity down. Your mower...pressure up and down.
You will need to replace the hose on the mower that retracts the cylinder with a hydraulic vent /breather plug.
That will make it pressure up and gravity down.
Two ways to ready your tractor.
1.) Take off the front loader when you need to use the mower. Not as hard as it sounds.
2.) Add a shut off valve to the coupling where it splits to the loader cylinders. Photo 2
That way you can position the loader where you want it, shut it off. let pressure off the system, then unplug it from the rear remote.
It's possible to just set the loader to the position you want and unplug / plug it under pressure, I don't recommend it.
Hope this helps.

#6 ·
I generally get hydraulic parts from a local shop that deals with cylinder repair.
One can find places to order or a local shop by doing a search on the internet.
If you don't know what thread sizes you have, take a piece with you and they can size them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.