Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started to pick corn today, the corn was dry enough but looks like its going to be about 2/3 normal. We only do 8 ac. to feed the calves over Winter and have put the corn on the same ground for a few years now. Normal conditions it took 2 rounds with a 2 row picker to fill the wagons but today it took 3 rounds to get the same. We have nice weather for the week so should be done Wed. will know then if it will be enough to finish the calves this year. Happy Harvest .....mike

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
2/3 of a crop is probably much better than many this year. Hope equipment and weather cooperate for you Mike. I plan to start mowing hay tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1,507 Posts
Hope the picking went well for you. Filling a crib brings back plenty of memories, spent many 'happy' hours watching the maize go up the elevator. These days cribs are a thing of the past, Too many rats & mice in the cribs said the Health Inspectors. (it was grown for Kellogs for cornflakes) Its now all done by artificial drying.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This will be gone by March , varmits will get some . We grind cob and all and add distillers grain to the mix to add protein. So far a flat tire on the wagon and a link broke in a chain on the picker. Crib isn't filling up very fast so yield must be getting worste as we get into the feild.....mike

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
One of the many aspects of agriculture that I've never gotten to fool with is field corn, but I've always thought it would be an experience. I hope that all goes the best for you in getting the rest of it in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crib only filled to half. Normal year would fill the crib and maybe 2 or 3 wagons extra. Best guess on yield is between 60-70 Bu. per acre. About a 100 Bu. per short.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts