Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I just bought a 1948 Farmall H, restoration was a few years ago, it looks great. It is still equipped with the stock 6 volt system. I've encountered a problem with the starter push button. It began to smoke and then the wiring insulation caught on fire while pressing the button. I assumed there was a direct short in the switch so I removed it from the mix to do a test by connecting the "positive" cable to the starter cable by hand (wearing gloves obviously) and releasing the starter cable after the tractor began running. I noticed through my gloves that there was a lot of heat generated while holding the connection. My question...is this amount of heat normal? I know this is not the smartest way to do a test, but it may very well have prevented me from burning through another switch if the heat is not normal. By the way, I did have a thick safety barrier between the battery and me while doing the test. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks much!

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
You have resistance from poor connections or a bad cable is my guess. Check all your connections on the switch, battery and the ground on the tractor. A loose or corroded connection or defective cable can do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim...will check it. I talked to my brother who had an old Ford Tractor and he mentioned that some of the vintage tractors had a positive ground. Is that the case with a Farmall H?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes. Most of the old 6 volt systems Farmall included, run positive ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Will do an update when I get a new starter button.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Starter button in, all cable ends cleaned and everything is cool.
Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Thanks for letting us know that it worked out for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts