Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The starter on my A fails to connect to the flywheel when trying to start. It worked a few times when I purchased the tractor but now never connects to the flywheel. I removed the starter and inspected, including a bench test to see if the bendix was working correctly, (running out when voltage applied to starter) . The bendix looks fairly new with no broken teeth. It is a ten tooth gear so I assume it is the correct one. Also, the flywheel looks ok with little damage to the teeth, or no more than would be expected, I have seen worse that worked fine.
I am stumped, any advise would be appreciated.

rr

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
Perhaps a starter bushing is missing or severely worn at the bendix end. If it is extending the gear outward as you say, and if you have the correct starter for the tractor I suggest turning the engine a little so the starter engages the flywheel in a different spot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps a starter bushing is missing or severely worn at the bendix end. If it is extending the gear outward as you say, and if you have the correct starter for the tractor I suggest turning the engine a little so the starter engages the flywheel in a different spot.
Thank you Jim for your reply. As you suggested, I have already checked bushings and turned flywheel until I wore myself out with no engagement so far. I have already done the measurments to make sure the bendix extends the correct distance, all checked out good. I assume it's the correct starter ( Delco Rem) Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design
but I don't know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
After thinking about this the only other thing that might cause the problem would be a bad electrical connection at either end of the battery cables, or in the starter which could cause the electrical current to weaken a bit. Is your tractor on a 6 or 12 volt system? Here's one of mine.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts