Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While down in Mississippi I broke the end of a limb off a live oak and was wondering if anybody knows of a way to make it sprout. Its about 8 or 9 inches long and pencil size. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I read that you can sprout roses by sticking them in a potato. Cut the end off fresh and just jab it in. If it works for roses it could work for oak :cool:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
There used be a powder that you wet the end dip it in the powder and and then the water but has been so long dont remember where I got it..I have also started them by sticking them in water and they would spout roots..started some like weeping willow by just sticking down in ground..since I thought about it the powder after you dipped it in the powder you wrap it in damp paper towel and keep it moist the powder was called root ____ something bet you can still get

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
how thick is the branch? Generally, if a maple branch is over about 1/4 -1/2 and inch in diameter it will not root.

Is it old growth? In other words is hte wood brown and barked over, or is it new growth that is green and very supple?

To have a good chance at getting it to root, you will need to get a rooting hormone. This is sold at almost any garden center including Lowes and Home Depot.

Until you get this or decide not to, keep it in the ewater.

Once you are ready to root it with the hormone or decide to take your chances without it (not a good idea), place it in a small pot with potting soil mixed with perlite to keep it from compacting. Make sure you keep the soil wet, nearly warer logged at all times.

Keep it in a shaded area that recieves no direct sunlight. If it works, you will usually get new roots starting to grow within 3-4 weeks.

Warning: Do not leave it in water to root. It may and probably will grow roots in the water, hoever, these are different types of roots then what the tree would grow in soil and the tree will not survive a stansplanting into soil, it would have to be kept in water for the rest of its life.

Here is a link on getting maples to root from cuttings:

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/cutt

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Gordon, I think one of the rooting products one can buy is called Rootone :?: :?: :?:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts