Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We began replanting today. We have scattered and poor stands of most things. We replanted about 2/3 of our first sweet corn, and about half of the squash and cukes. We might have enuff green beans for now, but will plant aother batch in 10 days or so. We gotta get some melons in the ground and another sweet corn planting. We have 2 days before the next best chance of rain.

We are also predicted to have another cool, wet spell in about 10 days. It may last 4 to 5 days according to the weather guesser. As before, many folks north of us will be warmer than us if this plays out.

Did I mention that hay is nearly ready :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
395 Posts
not sure what to do with first planting hard freeze mon night smoked 5and a half acrres our first planting of sweet corn second planting just coming through now and weather is good first planting was just going to 3rd leaf so growing point should still be under ground probably wait a week and take a look and decide then strange how it killed 15 out of 400 tomatoe plants randomly down the rows

·
Administrator
4,347 Posts
Sounds a lot like here Jim. What seeds sat in the mud for over a week is just started to sprout a couple of days ago. Still not sure if I will have to replant.
Needed to cut hay, but too wet to get into the fields until Tuesday. Rain forecast for today put that on the back burner, and it's starting while I write this.
Melon patch is still in plow rows. With rain forecast every two or three days for the next week or so. First hay cutting will be late, as will the rest of the garden. :roll:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Well Jimmy and Ivan - you all aren't alone. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to re-do my squash and cukes as well... they are popping up but it is very sporadic throughout the rows... I'm going to let it dry up from this latest wet spell and see if they don't pop through with the ground loosened up. We were very blessed in escaping the last round of frost though... so the tomatoes, corn, and beans seem to be making it alright so far, the peppers are somewhat indecisive though...

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peppers may have been stunted from the cool weather, but they should come out of it.

I worked some ground today that had not been touched since plowed last fall. One field with lots of red clay was as tough as I have ever seen it. It was hard on top, but nothing but mud about 4 inches down. We haven't had spring ground this wet in over ten years. I basically just opened it up and hope it will dry enuff to do something with tomorrow. Rain comes back on Saturday.

I am also seeing very few melons and lopes. The early patch was planted 3 weeks ago from this Saturday. We may replant tomorrow, just because we need to be get stuff going.

I also cut the plot for the late melon patch. It worked good, but had clumps of grass that needed to be mowed and baled. That is gonna be another challenge, and it will keep coming back until I get it killed. The late patch really needs to be planted now, too. With all the moisture in the ground, I think I will spend lots of time unclogging cultivators. :shock: :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Jim wrote: We began replanting today. We have scattered and poor stands of most things. We replanted about 2/3 of our first sweet corn, and about half of the squash and cukes. We might have enuff green beans for now, but will plant aother batch in 10 days or so. We gotta get some melons in the ground and another sweet corn planting. We have 2 days before the next best chance of rain.

Same way here some of the squash and cukes are up some not the ground crusted with the rains. I'm hoping with what we got yesterday maybe they'll come through but afraid it may have been to long.

Ivan wrote:not sure what to do with first planting hard freeze mon night smoked 5and a half acrres our first planting of sweet corn second planting just coming through now and weather is good first planting was just going to 3rd leaf so growing point should still be under ground probably wait a week and take a look and decide then strange how it killed 15 out of 400 tomatoe plants randomly down the rows

Sorry to hear that Ivan but sometimes corn can take a pretty good frost and still come on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts