Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember the 52 Merc I pulled out of the woods last fall? Well after a long cold winter it finally got up to a temperature that I could do a little work on the car. Tried starting it this past weekend and did get it to run for a few seconds which is encouraging. 30+ years of sitting outside has not ruined the engine apparently.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Very solid old car! Nice work getting it running. Next steps?
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very solid old car! Nice work getting it running. Next steps?
Regards,
Chris
Unfortunately the old Merc is only solid for about the top 3/4s of the body. Rocker panels are nearly gone and the floor is well ventilated all around. You can see the smoke pouring into the interior in this second video I shot yesterday. Now I need to figure out why the transmission is not engaging.

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
Rusty I really enjoyed both videos. Let us know if you get to take a spin around the farm!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it did move yesterday. Turns out the trans was so low on fluid that it took a litre and a half to briing it high enough to start working. Kind of tricky driving with no brakes and having to pump the gas pedal carefully to avoid stalling the engine. Plus the yard is too muddy from snow melt to drive but I did turn the car around. The Holley carb seems to only be working on one side so it is not running as smooth as it could. Did a compression check yesterday and only two cylinders are low, down around 55. The others are 100.
Got some "driving video" in the camera to edit .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
Rusty, snow banks and muddy bogs make good brakes. Don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok Rusty don't have to but I will, how ya know? :lol: just kidd'n had to pick on ya a lil Jim. sounds like a funny story behind that one tho
I know it all too well as this photo of my truck from last winter will remind you. If I did that with the Merc I think the rusty front fenders would collapse. :lol:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
I'll take them over a tree or another vehicle anytime.

·
Administrator
4,358 Posts
It's definitely doing better than most that sat under shade trees for 30+ years. :good:
Do you plan on getting it road worthy again, or just movin' around the farm?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's definitely doing better than most that sat under shade trees for 30+ years. :good:
Do you plan on getting it road worthy again, or just movin' around the farm?
At this point I just take it a day at a time. Primary object is to prevent further deterioration by getting it into decent storage out of the weather like I should have done 40 years ago. Get it running a little better hopefully and able to move itself around the yard, hopefully in and out of the shed. Got the driving video done , plus a few still pictures from over the years it has been on this farm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts