Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading a post up in the Cockshutt/Oliver forum, Wyatt was saying how his 30 started the other day at 12 F to move wood, so I thought I'd tell you what I've been doing for years.

If it's below 20F and one of them has to be fired up, I use the heat gun to warm the intake manifold all the way down to the carb for 5, 6 maybe 8 minutes. Pull the intake off the carb and put the heat gun on HI and crank them over. You would be surprised what that amount of heat will do for you. I let the heat blow into the intake until the motor will run smoothly without the choke. It sure seems to minimize the grinding on the starter. If you do it but are not convinced it makes a difference, try it once and as soon as it starts, pull the heat away from the intake and listen to the motor labor, then listen to it smooth out again when you put the heat directly back into the carb intake. I do the same on the diesels too and do not use ether at all.

I can't think of any damage this would cause but it has GOT to be better than using ether or grinding and grinding the starter, though I am guilty of both in the past.

If no heat gun, use a hair dryer on high, but it'll take longer.
 
G

·
My 861 will usually fire up at any temp with no trouble. If its below 10 deg. or so I have to pull the choke for a quick second for it to fire but push it back in immediately. Only one we've had that works that good. Others just need to choke to stay about half way for about a minute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
petra79 said:
My 861 will usually fire up at any temp with no trouble. If its below 10 deg. or so I have to pull the choke for a quick second for it to fire but push it back in immediately. Only one we've had that works that good. Others just need to choke to stay about half way for about a minute.
I think we all have the lucky one or two that is so reliable like your 861, but sometimes they all get a little cranky in the severe cold, so I was tossing out a suggestion for everyone to ponder .... Then there's the ones that are aggravating to start just because it IS cold and this works quite well for those fellow. Tractors are like women....there's something to like in every one you see, but they all sure can be trying on the patience at times....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
missouri massey man said:
petra79 said:
My 861 will usually fire up at any temp with no trouble.
Tractors are like women....there's something to like in every one you see, but they all sure can be trying on the patience at times....

What did you just say, you must still be SICK to make a statment like that.
What have I done to try your Patience???? :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,361 Posts
That's a good idea Wendell, never thought of that. I've only got one that has trouble starting cold (FORD) but I haven't gone through the carb yet.
Makes sense, as cars have a heat riser that draws warm air off the exhaust manifold 'till they warm up. Or at least some did at one time.
Only problem here is no electricity at the tractor sheds. I Reckon I could pull the generator up to the tractor shed to run a heat gun or hair dryer. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Good hint Wendall!!! Now Betty remember he is sick and probably running a temp and maybe fried his brain just a little :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for helping bail me out guys, but I was really trying to see if MissBetty was asleep at the helm or not...she's been so quiet lately....and we ALL know that is not her nature. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you KNOW, MissBetty, I would NEVER be guilty of making such disparaging remarks against the softer and gentler gender that would be intended for you at all......

Ron and you other guys, you can come out of hiding now...I think the dust is beginning to settle..... :D :? :D :D

Now back to those troublesome women ..errrrrrr TRACTORS now... :shock: :shock: :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
bettyp said:
Stephenscity said:
Good hint Wendall!!! Now Betty remember he is sick and probably running a temp and maybe fried his brain just a little :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike you taking up for Wendell ,you don't need to I
know he'll already have excuse and will it sound good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
missouri massey man said:
Thanks for helping bail me out guys, but I was really trying to see if MissBetty was asleep at the helm or not...she's been so quiet lately....and we ALL know that is not her nature. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you KNOW, MissBetty, I would NEVER be guilty of making such disparaging remarks against the softer and gentler gender that would be intended for you at all......

Ron and you other guys, you can come out of hiding now...I think the dust is beginning to settle..... :D :? :D :D

Now back to those troublesome women ..errrrrrr TRACTORS now... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now Wendell you know I read every word of your post and always enjoy every word.
Lesson #1 I never nod off while reading your post , too interesting.
Lesson # 2 I'll still be reading your post you may want to watch your Back :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lesson # 3 we are still Friends cause I love your family :) :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bettyp said:
missouri massey man said:
Thanks for helping bail me out guys, but I was really trying to see if MissBetty was asleep at the helm or not...she's been so quiet lately....and we ALL know that is not her nature. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you KNOW, MissBetty, I would NEVER be guilty of making such disparaging remarks against the softer and gentler gender that would be intended for you at all......

Ron and you other guys, you can come out of hiding now...I think the dust is beginning to settle..... :D :? :D :D

Now back to those troublesome women ..errrrrrr TRACTORS now... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now Wendell you know I read every word of your post and always enjoy every word.
Lesson #1 I never nod off while reading your post , too interesting.
Lesson # 2 I'll still be reading your post you may want to watch your Back :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lesson # 3 we are still Friends cause I love your family :) :) :)
Somewhere there is a picture of Snoopy doing the happy dance on his dog house roof.....I'd like to insert that here MissBetty. :D :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
Thanks Wendell I know that picture.
But rather see you dancing on the doghouse than Snoopy. :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bettyp said:
But rather see you dancing on the doghouse than Snoopy. :lol: :lol:
MissBetty, I too would rather be dancing on the doghouse than LIVING in it which is where I normally get to spend my time.....and I just can't figure out why. I'm thinking all you women are in cahoots with each other.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
Wendell ,there you are ,thought you got mad and was off pouting somewhere. :lol: :lol:
No was wondering if you were sick again . Are you going to get any of this weather that Steve
is getting . Telling us some ice coming in tonight . Sounding bad. Take care up there in Missouri.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bettyp said:
Wendell ,there you are ,thought you got mad and was off pouting somewhere. :lol: :lol:
No was wondering if you were sick again . Are you going to get any of this weather that Steve
is getting . Telling us some ice coming in tonight . Sounding bad. Take care up there in Missouri.
Well, I was "incapacitated" for a few days.... and not able to access the interweb adequately with MrsMassey's I-pad. Those touch screens just are NOT user friendly for fat fingers....they are made for the delicate touch of a lady and for me it was verrrrrry difficult to quit pushing all kinds of stuff I didn't want to push !!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
i like some of the diesels I've had that have compression release and you can spin the engine over till you see oil pressure come up then let the valve train catch drop and many times they fire instantly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
soundguy said:
i like some of the diesels I've had that have compression release and you can spin the engine over till you see oil pressure come up then let the valve train catch drop and many times they fire instantly!
I've never had that set up I don't believe. At least neither the 4500 nor the 580 Case has it. Interesting though. Of course I bet mid-Missouri sees a little cooler winter on average than you Floridians do.... ;) ;) ;) (sorry soundguy, couldn't resist the opportunity.) HVAC design temp for this area being 5F above Zero.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top