Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I've ever posted this over here, so if it's a double post I apoligize in advance. Just poking around unfamiliar topics on the forum and reaching out into new territory. So here goes.

My great uncle came from a family of 11. He grew up on the family dairy farm where I now live, but decided when the local brickyard closed in 57 that it was better to be out west without a job than home without a job. So he moved to Seattle, Washington and worked for boeing about a year and a half. He then moved to quincy, Washington where he bought some ground. They had just finished the columbia basin irrigation project which is an irrigation project running water pumped from the grand coulee dam and into canals which run throughout the state to deliver water. It hardly ever rains where he lives, and with low humidity and almost blue skies everyday, perfect place for crops. So they ran the irrigation into the basin and lots of farms started popping up. He originally got into some beans and then grass hay. This was in 1959. He heard of a local farmer that went under and was moving out of town and he needed a tractor so he bought the old A. I'll let him tell the story from here on out.

http://youtu.be/CUivvFSzZpE

He then bought a john deere 60 to do all of his baling with since he couldn't run the A all day without having to refuel. After buying the 60, he could run all day on one tank of fuel. I asked him about this tractor when I was out to visit (I try to go out every summer) in 2006 and he told me it hadn't ran for 15 years. It was sitting out along the field, nothing over the exhaust, but still loose. He saw I was interested in it and told me "If you can get it running, you can have it." Wrong thing to say to me, because two and a half hours later I drove it up to his house. The problem then was that it was in washington state, and I live in Pennsylvania. So my best friend from high school hopped in my truck this past summer and made the trek cross country. Stopped once on the way out because he was too tired to keep going. We each drove a tank of fuel which ended up being about 6 hours while the other slept. We drove straight through on the way back. He was kind enough to pay for fuel on the way out since he wanted to see the country. I have made the trip numerous times so I knew where to stop and where to eat. Whole trip cost me about 1200 and almost 6k miles on my truck. The tractor is extremely wore out and the engine hammers everytime the piston fires. It has a bad miss but I've spent hours fine tuning it to run as good as it will and I'll be darned if it doesn't still start reliably at 10 below. It needs a complete overhaul, but I have other projects that need more attention than a tractor that runs. It will eventually get a top to bottom resto, and will be named in honor of my great aunt and uncle for their generosity. He's 84 and still kicking.

Thanks guys/gals for reading my story.

-Brandon

Picture in Washington

Pictures taken here in PA

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Nice story Brandon .I love reading how people got their tractors. Pictures are great also..

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Brandon I just finished reading the story of your tractor and watching the video of your great uncle tell the story and all I can say is that is priceless and as time goes by it will be even more. Thanks for posting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts