Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article with pics was in a local paper yesterday. The pick-your-own operations are facing real problems unless they can adapt to current situations. A local blueberry farmer I know has already decided not to open his farm this year.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I read the article, It looks like these guys are getting a good system going
to get their berries sold, and in peoples vehicles. I am sure it is a lot more work
for them, than the people coming and picking them themselves. They are making
more on the berries selling them picked, but they are working for the extra money for sure.
Not too bad if you just want to go pick you a gallon, but it's
Hard work stooping over and picking them all day to serve that many people
wanting fresh berries.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I see that kind of spirit in some businesses up here. They changed the delivery to their clients. They probably make less and work more, but I'd think it's better than closing. Unfortunately it won't work for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is another example of how producers are getting their products sold. For several weeks in scattered locations across the state meat processors, many who sell to restaurants that are now closed, have had drive through sales of their products to the public so they can keep their employees working.
After just viewing the US Farm Report and the destruction of Florida produce in farm fields because of lack demand with no mention of a shortage of labor, and hearing that imported produce continues unabated, and considering the amount of food that is being given away and prepared by food banks, schools, etc., it seems we have some priorities that should.be corrected. Sorry for the long sentence.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It is a good thing that they are getting this chicken, that would normally go to schools and restaurants
into the hands of the general public, as it would just be sitting there, while everything is closed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts