Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to know what different people use to take old paint off and ready for new I use the paint stripper discs but there's gotta be something that works better that's cleaner than sandblasting just curious

·
Registered
224 Posts
My dad use to say ‘If the base paint is holding, then keep it on there’. He would just rough it up enough to hold the new paint. Problem with going down to metal if you don’t need to is that air and moisture gets to the necked metal and gives rust an opportunity. Some areas of the country worse than others.

Just fill in chips, get it smooth and shoot new paint.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use a 4" grinder with a cup type wire wheel a lot of the time. If the paint is well stuck on, it smoothes out the rough spots and leaves a surface roughened up to take a new coat of primer or filler. Also removes rust at the same time with out a lot of fine dust.
Safety wise, a face shield should be worn along with arm & leg protection with thick cotton shirt & trousers as the wires can penetrate the body if not adequately protected.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I also mostly use wire brushes. I use 2 angle grinders, one with a straight brush, one with a cup brush. I also add a DA sander to the mix where it can be used to advantage. I'm hoping to set up my little homeowner grade sandblaster just to get spots the wire brushes can't reach.

I'm also of a mind that sound paint doesn't need to come off, that's where the DA sander is handy to blend the line between paint/ no paint which all too easily shows through the finished paint.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey CTPhil, what type of sander is a DA sander? Probably a different name for the types we have here. I also have a sand blasting cabinet using ground glass for small items, bolts etc and a nozzle which plugs into my air compressor hose and draws the grit from a drum. This only gets used for hard to get at areas though as it is messy to use.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm just talking about a Dewalt sander from Home Depot that takes a stick on round sanding disc. They look like a random orbital sander but have improved motion. Nothing out of the ordinary for today's sanders, but much improved over the orbital sanders I used to use.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Aussie John said:
Hey CTPhil, what type of sander is a DA sander? Probably a different name for the types we have here. I also have a sand blasting cabinet using ground glass for small items, bolts etc and a nozzle which plugs into my air compressor hose and draws the grit from a drum. This only gets used for hard to get at areas though as it is messy to use.

Regards,
John
DA sander is dual action. Spins and orbits at the same time. ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just a wire brush on a drill and a paint scraper where needed. Mostly worry about the stuff that will come off exept on the sheet metal

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Oven cleaner, pressure washer, spray paint remover, then wire wheel. Prime as I go along, then clean up before final priming, then paint!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts