Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has been working on his little B. One of the rear wheels is stuck and stuck good I might add ;) . He has tried about everything. He's loosened it and drove it around in figure 8's trying to get it loose. He's put a chain on it with a hydraulic jack to pull it against the axle. He's heated it (while spraying some lube in the joint) while doing the chain/jack trick and actually broke two log chains!

This thing has been in this position since the 1940's. He did say that when they heated it a bunch of stuff ran out of the joint which should have loosened it some but it still won't budge. Any suggestions??? :?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen it but he's been working on it for months. I'm wondering if it swelled some when it was heated and after it cooled it would then come apart? It did run some crud out of the joint when heated. It may pop loose with some pressure now. Worth a try I guess.

G

·
Keep going with the heat and cool method. Will likely take several times doing this. If you have stuff coming out when it is heated , likely it is breaking loose the rust and crud that is holding it firmly in place. Patience and persistence will break it loose. Trying to force it may break more than chains.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The heat shouldn't hurt anything, right? If I'm not mistaken, there isn't an axle seal to mess up is there? I've been told that Dad's A doesn't have them so I'm assuming that the B doesn't either. Is this right?

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Shouldnt be a problem with heat if the wheels are on the outside of the axles. My 60 the seals are a form of cotton. Put the grease to it to be safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts