Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of yall do this, and if so do you think it helps? I have suckered some in the past and sometimes I seem to have larger maters, but it just could also be the growing season. Just wondering if any of yall have done it :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
WE never have done Jim so don't know if it helps or not. The weather
plays a big part in how good our tomatoes are.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Depends on variety, Many of the old varieties respond well but I grow the Early Girl variety, or a offshoot of them now and they are a determinate variety, ? I think I am right. Anyway the ones that put on fruit all at once don't need to be. The ones that keep setting fruit do respond to suckering Makes stronger plants and more area to set fruit....James

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
A man I used to work with who raises tomatoes for market swears by it... and actually has planted the removed suckers and claims to have had them take root and grow as a new plant if the soil temps and moisture was just right. It sounded out there for me, but I knew this man well and he had no reason to claim any different... though I've yet to sucker mine the first time. I've been wondering the last few days if I should try it.

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James, I think you are right. I thought about this some today and I remember it being more helpful to heirloom or non-determinate varieties. We plant some Early Girls and they usually get 6 to 7' tall.
Brandon, I have rooted suckers by putting them in a 5 gallon bucket with a few inches of very moist sandy soil. It's a good way to produce some late season plants if one does not grow his plants from seed.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Jim I have always done it was just the way I was taught. I usually let the rutgers go but try to do the hybirds Seem to get larger maters that way.

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, I hope you are getting things growing your way. We staked our earliest mater plants, and they need to be tied up again. I have some setting on the plants. It's amazing to see some veggies that look fairly well, and within just a few feet, some that just plain look bad. :( :? :? :?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Been a real strange season here this year. Temps are all over the place %0's one day and 90's the next. No complaints most everything doing OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts