Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a small problem. I have a '51 VAC and am having trouble finding a part for it. Somehow over time the bolt that holds the brake hub on has backed out and rattled around inside of that housing and messed up the treads. I have checked with the local Case dealer here and they said the part is dicontinued. They referred me to a guy who had alot of old parts for VAC's and he didnt have one to spare either. I have checked at the local Fastnel, i think is the name of it, and they said the closest thing they would have would be over 3 inches long and right at $100 for the single bolt. They referred me to a machine shop and i havent stopped in to see them yet but i can only assume it will be pricey. The part number is VT-5095 (2), now i am not sure the two is part of part number or if its saying I need two of them. Would any of you guys have any suggestions on where i could start? I am trying to figure out how to post a picture here but havent been able to get it on yet. Hope everyone has a happy holidays!

Thanks,
Felix

http://s1285.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 6585289318

·
Registered
466 Posts
Are the threads too messed up to chase with a tap? Check to see of a machine shop can build up and rethread. Keep looking, put the word out to a larger circle of people. Someone has one somewhere. Case collectors are a special lot, they go above and beyond to help out each other. The people are as special as the tractors are....James

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I agree they are a good bunch! The treads on the end of the bolt is the part that is messed up, I am not sure you could get a tap on it to even get it started. I know that picture isnt the best and i cant figure out how to get it to post right on the screen like most do on here. My photo bucket skills arent the best for sure.

·
Administrator
4,358 Posts
Go to a hardware store and get you a thread file. They are about $10. Will solve your problem.

G

·
The thread files are great tools. Got one a couple years ago with the recomendation from Soundguy. A must have for playin with old tractors.

·
Administrator
4,358 Posts
You're right Ron I've been using them for over twenty years at work and home, wouldn't want to be without one. ;)

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Felix,
I have a parts tractor that I can get you a bolt off of.
Nick

G

·
FelixT said:
Hey everyone, I have a small problem. I have a '51 VAC and am having trouble finding a part for it. Somehow over time the bolt that holds the brake hub on has backed out and rattled around inside of that housing and messed up the treads. I have checked with the local Case dealer here and they said the part is dicontinued. They referred me to a guy who had alot of old parts for VAC's and he didnt have one to spare either. I have checked at the local Fastnel, i think is the name of it, and they said the closest thing they would have would be over 3 inches long and right at $100 for the single bolt. They referred me to a machine shop and i havent stopped in to see them yet but i can only assume it will be pricey. The part number is VT-5095 (2), now i am not sure the two is part of part number or if its saying I need two of them. Would any of you guys have any suggestions on where i could start? I am trying to figure out how to post a picture here but havent been able to get it on yet. Hope everyone has a happy holidays!

Thanks,
Felix

http://s1285.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 6585289318

Here's your picture. On the "Img Code" you left click. You'll see it flash the word "copied". Then come here and right click and choose "paste". Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I am going to try the thread file and try and make that work. I will keep you all posted. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I believe with Nick's suggestion i may be able to post the next picture myself. Thanks Felix

1 - 9 of 9 Posts