Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family's Super A only has one set of legible numbers on the plate. 1540 is stamped on the plate. There is nothing else there. I checked one serial number source, and mine doesn't seem to fit in. Anybody have any ideas? :?:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jim go up to front of engine Block .Right in behind the throttle shaft hook to governor box .

Dig around the dirt right behind the rod . they is a ob long flat milled spot there . It will have the I D number for the engine Block .

That will get us real close OR right on the year . Most had same number on Block as tractor itself .The 1540 is for engine R P M setting from factory That's all that is .

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I knew there was a place on the block but could not remember where to look. All my other tractors have their numbers, but this plate is bare. I think it is an early SA. We rebuilt it about 20 years ago. I am sure it has the 113 engine. It has no water pump.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thermosyphon? Long story short...hot boiling water rises because it's lighter. It has more entrained air (bubbles). When it's heated it expands. As it it cooled by the air forced through the radiator, the cooler, denser, heavier water falls to the bottom. The denser cooler water helps force the lighter, hotter water out.

Raising the pressure of the water, raises it's boiling point. Many older tractors run to hot because people put the wrong cap on them...4# when it should have 0# or 7# when it should have 4#, etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spent a lot of long hot days in the tobacco fields cultivating with the A and the physics of thermosyphon always worked. It doesn't have to run too long to get it hot enuff for one to hear it gurgling when it is cut off.

G

·
0 Posts
Any luck with that engine number Jim??? Just curious here. Always willing to learn something.

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
petra79 said:
Any luck with that engine number Jim??? Just curious here. Always willing to learn something.
Didn't get to mess with it today Ron cuz of the trip. Ennyway it would blow a screwdriver outta your hand today as windy as it was. :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Jim in NC said:
petra79 said:
Didn't get to mess with it today Ron cuz of the trip. Ennyway it would blow a screwdriver outta your hand today as windy as it was. :roll:
Might be easier to write the numbers down with a pencil :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
petra79 said:
Jim in NC said:
petra79 said:
Might be easier to write the numbers down with a pencil :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's that :?: :?: :?: Writing :?: :?: :?: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Hope the winds have died down for ya today. We're supposed to jump from low 30's yesterday to upper 50's today but right now its down right cold and a bit breezy.
enjoy the day Sir.

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found on the flat spot on the block FAAM G
307315. If the block # is close to the serial # it should be a 1951. If that is correct, it gives me reason to ask another question, is there any way to determine when in 1951 the tractor was made?

G

·
0 Posts
I wonder if Farmall did date codes like Ford did. Had em all over the place. Axle, trans, hyds, etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I want to know a date of manufacture is that I was born in 1951. It may be a bit silly, but I am thinking about Shelley's, Mrs. Harris', tractor story.

G

·
0 Posts
Jim in NC said:
The reason I want to know a date of manufacture is that I was born in 1951. It may be a bit silly, but I am thinking about Shelley's, Mrs. Harris', tractor story.
Not silly at all. I have the actual date my 861 came off the line. Someday I'll get a tractor from my birth year. I think it would be neat to have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts