Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 1953 Super M's and after 10+ years of them not being started (sitting in a metal barn) the one started right up after some normal stuffs (oil change, new gas, clean the points, new plugs & clean metal bits on the wires etc.).

The other Super is giving me some trouble. Went through and replaced wires, distributor cap, rotor, cleaned point in the distributor, + oil change and new gas.

She only turns over. We pulled apart the bottom of the carburetor and cleaned it to make sure gas is getting to the engine (its definitely getting to the bottom part as it was full of gas when we pulled it off and the tube running from tank was clear & gas flows).

Not sure what else to do, gonna try to pull off the top part where the governor attaches and see if there's blockage. Any pointers here would REALLY be helpful!!!

Also, FYI I'm not super experienced with these as my day job is software engineer, my grandfather was the farmer but wanted to get the old tractor pulling tractors running so I can go pulling with some family (including my father who's now back into it!). I'm pulling in Allen County, Ohio on Thursday. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
8,538 Posts
Assuming you have gas to the engine, grab your volt/ohm meter and check for voltage to the distributor. Pull the distributor cap and inside cover and then turn the motor over and see if you have a spark or arc at the points. After that I'd check to see if you have the plug wires properly connected in the right firing order. As discussed many times before here the condenser is often overlooked as a cause of starting problems. Also i fixed one once that had a bad insulating grommet where the hot wire to the points passes through the distributor casing.

Reactions: Rosenbauer Farms

·
Administrator
4,357 Posts
Everything is pretty straight forward coming off and going back on. Don't forget to check the screen in the carb where the fuel line fits.
Just make sure to spray some cleaner through all the passages. Then follow with compressed air. Two or three times.
Also check the air intake stack for mud dauber nests. They can block one up really well in ten years where no air gets through.
If you haven't already, then replace the condenser in the distributor.
I'.m not a fan of starting fluid, but half a squirt in the carb air intake while cranking will tell you if your getting spark and any fuel drawn through the carb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, we are leaning towards the spark now, as we pretty thoroughly cleaned the carb again tonight. My dad check the plugs yesterday and realized he said the sparks were orange, not blue which might be the issue. We also tried some starting fluid and got nothing.

We need to check the plugs gap aka might need to set those. We might just replace the points and condenser tomorrow/this weekend and give her another ago.

Thanks for the pointers! The farther I get into this, I really feel like I need to write a "Working on antique/classic farmalls for dummies" 🤣

·
Super Moderator
8,538 Posts
You should have a strong blue spark. Sounds like you are on the right track!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts