Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed over the last few years that my sweet corn suckers up from the ground and tries to put small ears on the suckers. It doesn't seem to make much difference regarding the variety that is planted. Is anybody noticing this in their cornpatch, or is this just another wierd thing happening to me? :roll:

Also my corn is growing as slow as I ever remember it. My earliest should be near tasseling by now, and it is just a little over being knee high.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
On our sweetcorn & popcorn we used to have a problem of suckering. When the ground was too rich naturally or too much fertiliser had been applied (not nitrogen) we had this problem. It was a real nuisance. We didn't have this problem on the maize (corn) and we were producing 200plus bushels at the time.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say our temps are running pretty close to normal. Rainfall has been part of the problem though. The earliest corn was planted about the usual time, the third week of April. It was dry and it came up slowly. It had a few light showers on it, but the ground really never got wet until about 3 weeks ago when we had some heavy, dirt packin' rain, about 4 inches worth. The corn has maintained a good color and I have added fertilizer, but it hasn't responded well. We are now dry again :( :!:

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
I started to post this same quandary yesterday afternoon. I've never seen sweet corn sucker much, maybe a few plants.
Just about every stalk has two or more suckers coming off the roots, in my garden, but then I planted a different variety for the first time, Peaches-n-cream.
Went looking for answers on the net. I found that the SE and SU type hybrids do typically make suckers from the roots. New to me, but so are these "super sweet" hybrids.
I cut back all the suckers off the first I planted when I was hoeing the rows a month ago, but they grew right back. :roll:
It's been too wet to tend the garden for about three weeks. Every time it was just about dry enough, rain came again.
Yesterday I got into it and tamed the weeds, but still it was too wet to get a tiller through it. Maybe today I can do that.
What I planted Good Friday is tasseling and making ears, though it's only three and a half feet tall.
So, no Jim, it's not something weird that's happening to you. The weird stuff is happening to me as well.
On the other hand my maters are loving the warm wet weather. I've got several Golden Jubilees 4" in diameter and still dead green. :D
Also you mentioned something in a post about your mellons not germinating well. I had that problem too.
A week after planting a few came up. Just the past few days, three weeks after the first very few came up, a bunch more sprouted. :?
Seems this weird weather we are having is doing weird thing to garden plants.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave I held off planting any corn until about a week after Good Friday. The dogwoods and weather told me to plant in late March, but I have seen too many times it be warm then turn cool thus not get a good stand. Many folks here would say that ifn one waits until May 1, he won't be far behind, and cuz things will just do better. My earliest corn is 2 to 3 weeks away from tasseling unless it rains soon. Disappointed, I am. I saw some corn plants with 3 and 4 suckers on them. It would be a lot better ifn that energy and nutrients would produce corn than fodder.
We planted a late melon patch about 10 days ago. Almost all have come up. We hoed the ridges down today and I cultivated it. The early melon patch, planted May 1, is not far ahead except the transplants we put out that we grew. They are beginning to run and bloom.

G

·
0 Posts
Ours is doing the same thing. We've also planted the peaches n cream. Most all stalks have 1 or 2 suckers.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ky wonder said:
yall planted it upside down, it you had planted it upside right it would not do this :D :roll:
Thanks, next year I will remember not to stand on my head when planting :!: :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts