Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an auction coming up later this year on some riverbluff property where it is common knowledge that countless rattlesnakes have been killed, baled up in square bales, ran over by mowers and sickle bars. There is about 80 to 100 tractors to be sold, no one yet knows for sure as the gentleman passed away suddenly during surgery. Lots and lots of parts tractors and lots and lots of weeds, brush and falling down buildings....my quandry: I'm going to go, but how do I prepare for what I believe to be the inevitable encounter ????? And yes, Steve, I will let you know when this happens. You can bring Diane... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
well i got bitten by a brown snake (deadly ones here) but best thing to do is thick boots, trousers or long pants, and a long sleeved shirt.... and a spare pair of leather gloves or something in suss areas. and if you get a bite have a compression bandage on hand... and what ever you do dont suck the venom out....

Cheers, Will

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Mike, hopefully I won't experience that sound...I have been lucky so far, but I will be ready to run. :shock: :? :shock:

And Dave, Johnny Cash was awesome but I'm gonna hafta Google that song...

William, did the 'brown' make you extremely sick? Did you get a shot of anti-venom? Thanks for the tips and I was thinking of wearing leggings inside my pant legs too. I didn't think of the leather gloves. I had the opportunity to talk to the ol' boy just a couple weeks before his surgery and he'd told me it was nothing to see 30 or more throughout the summer. Of course it may have been just a few that he's seen over and over....I hope :!: :!: :!: :? :?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have camo snake chaps that I wear in the swamps where I sometimes work....( cottonmouths ) I believe I got them at bass pro, they just buckle around your legs, and there is another kind that is just plastic called shin guards I believe,....main thing is just don't get to excited ( hard to do I know ) and forget where your at.... :D :lol:

Jim

·
Registered
906 Posts
I found the song on a record (LP) of funny Johnny Cash songs. A Boy Named Sue, can't remember the title, but the one about the Cadallic One Piece At A Time?, etc.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CASENWV said:
I have camo snake chaps that I wear in the swamps where I sometimes work....( cottonmouths ) I believe I got them at bass pro, they just buckle around your legs, and there is another kind that is just plastic called shin guards I believe,....main thing is just don't get to excited ( hard to do I know ) and forget where your at.... :D :lol:

Jim
I never knew they made such a thing, I can check the Cabela catalog...Another good idea. Thank you, sir. I'd rather spend a few bucks on prevention than recovery :p :p :p Thanks, Jim

bikerdave said:
I found the song on a record (LP) of funny Johnny Cash songs. A Boy Named Sue, can't remember the title, but the one about the Cadallic One Piece At A Time?, etc.
I will check it out as I'm sure it is appropriate for the circumstance...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Stephenscity said:
One good thing about Rattlers they will let you know when you're too close!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mostly generally yes; sometimes when startled though they strike withou any warning.

·
Registered
926 Posts
missouri massey man said:
There is an auction coming up later this year on some riverbluff property where it is common knowledge that countless rattlesnakes have been killed, baled up in square bales, ran over by mowers and sickle bars. There is about 80 to 100 tractors to be sold, no one yet knows for sure as the gentleman passed away suddenly during surgery. Lots and lots of parts tractors and lots and lots of weeds, brush and falling down buildings....my quandry: I'm going to go, but how do I prepare for what I believe to be the inevitable encounter ????? And yes, Steve, I will let you know when this happens. You can bring Diane... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would be will to go to the sale myself; just no way i can get the time to travel. Any idea what all is selling

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mgood said:
missouri massey man said:
I would be will to go to the sale myself; just no way i can get the time to travel. Any idea what all is selling
I visited with him literally weeks before his surgery and talked for 3 hours nonstop about Olivers. Later in the fall I was to go back when the weeds were down and we were going to walk his collection. An unusual collection of Olivers including a 770 industrial backhoe, he told me it weighed 23,000 lbs and hauled it on a 14,000 lb trailer with his 3500 Dodge Cummins, I remember he said he had 27 Oliver 70's alone. Plenty of the HartParr steel, as well as a lot of the rest of the regulars and fleetline series. I know he has no current wife or children but no less than 3 ex's. He has two brothers that should be arranging it. Not a clue when at all, but it is imminent. May not even be until fall.

·
Registered
926 Posts
We have had a chilly one to blow in here; will drop to just above freezing overnite with high winds. That'll send them back toward their hole in the hill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts