Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last October, I did a driving tour around Tasmania (our southern island state) and visited a couple of museums at Westbury and a historic heritage listed property called "Woolmers", all near the city of Launceston and here are some of the historic machinery I saw.

1913 Wolseley (English made) in origional condition. This was the first motor car on the estate

1914 Fowler traction engine

1900 Birdsall engine

A matching pair of Marshalls

Imperial road roller

Marshall plowing engine

Massey Ferguson 30 repowered with a V4 air cooled Wisconsin engine from a hay baler

A Cletrac which looks like it has had a hard life

Ransomes market garden crawler & an Allis Chalmers crawler (probably a M)

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
That Fowler, was it used for logging? Is that a winch hanging below it?

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Nice old machines. a fun place to visit it seems. :D
Ernie the winch pulled a fifteen or twenty gang manned plow across the field with the help of another engine parked adjacent to it to pull it back.
They would move across the edge of the field, and pull the plow back and forth across. Never had the opportunity to see it live only on old photos. ;)
I think John got a photo and or a caption or two outta place. 'Cause that M-F 30 sure looks like a steamer to me. :?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
John, you found alot to see, thanks for sharing with us.
I enjoyed seeing them .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wow those re brilliant, hope William catches the link.... the Birdsall is a new one on me, just wondering where it was built. We have a pair of ploughing engines locally which I have seen in action, great teamwork needed. They still do some dredging work I beleive

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Wow thanks for posting these. I learned something, never new about the plows being pulled across a field with a cable. I would like to see that in action.
Nice group of machines!
Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
Thanks for bringing the museum to us John. There is truly some spectacular old equipment there :!: ;)

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
BigDaveinKY said:
Ernie the winch pulled a fifteen or twenty gang manned plow across the field with the help of another engine parked adjacent to it to pull it back.
They would move across the edge of the field, and pull the plow back and forth across. Never had the opportunity to see it live only on old photos. ;)

Oh, 've read about that but it's been a while. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry about the photo mix up. I will post some more photos next week-end - plenty more to go.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some more photos from Tasmania

Massey Ferguson 39 fitted with Wisconsin V4 engine

A pair of rare MMs - unfortunately, they are only models
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/img1227copy.jpg/]
[/URL]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of two sheds at Pearns Steam World, Westbury

Lanz Bulldog

1919 Saunderson

Marshall

Case Crossmount

McCormack Deering 10-20 (I think)

Farmall F12

A variety of engines

Imperial road roller

Restored steam crane on the wharl at Hobart (Capital of Tasmania)

Restored steam engine at Queenstown, Tasmaina. This engine uses a rack & pinion drive to cross over the mountains to Strahan pulling several carriages every day

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Thanks Aussie John for all the
Enjoyed seeing all those good pic.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Some great pictures , looks pretty where the steam train runs, cat say I would like to drive the Lanz far with that tin roof.. always good to see the Saunderson tractor not too many of them over here...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts