Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you are members of the JICCA, or J.I.CASE Collectors Association. I've been asked by the editor and good friend Jimmy Thelen to write some technical articles for the magazine. I just wrote one up on power steering pumps. Next is power cell maintenance. Thinking of doing power steering gearboxes also. Is there anything you guys would like me to do? I've been turning wrenches on tractors since I was 12 and doing it for 4-H projects. I figured since I'm always turning wrenches, I have a camera in my pocket, and I do get the occasional "how do you fix it?" from fellow collectors I might as well share the wealth! I currently have a 400 diesel, LA, and VAC in the shop getting various things fixed or rebuilt. The only series I don't own is the S series. Looking for input!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sounds like it would make interesting reading. How about a refresher course in tightening the pto clutch on your 400?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gordon, just did a clutch seal in a VAC a month ago! Biggest pain is splitting the tractor. Rusty, I have to pull the clutch on my 1030 and at least replace the brake, I will add PTO clutches to the list! Gordon, I have a VAC broke in half in my shop right now, I could do a short article here for you. What specifically is it your wondering about, the seal itself or what it takes to break the tractor in half?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
The ones I'm talking about go over the input shaft back towards the rear there is a plate that bolts over the seals or shims there are several of them and they are different colors the oil is coming down the shaft from the rear of the tractor and drips out the bellhousing and gets on the clutch as it goes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, your talking the seal in the clutch quill. I have one split if you don't need the splitting procedure.

·
Registered
294 Posts
VAC rear main engine seal would be good also. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay guys, next time I venture out in the shop I'll take a few pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts