Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did we quit teaching people which side of the street to ride a bicycle, and which side of the street to walk on. For those of you who weren't taught, you ride a bike on the right like a motor vehicle, and you walk on the left facing traffic. Only logical, if you are doing ten MPH on a bicycle and a car is doing thirty (will a car go that slow?) Meeting the car the relative speed is forty, and if overtaking the closing speed is twenty. Would you rather get hit at twenty or forty MPH?
Nine out of ten bikes I see are on the wrong side of the road, so they must have quit teaching it. I'll get off my soap box now.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Dave, I'd say about the time that students were allowed to do their math assignments with calculators instead of pencils, and when kids were taught alternative uses for toilet paper :!: :roll:

·
Registered
168 Posts
me thinks they stopped a lot teaching of lot stuff .
signal lights dont work or there a shortage of blinker fluid .
well to much to type out

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Jim in NC said:
Dave, I'd say about the time that students were allowed to do their math assignments with calculators instead of pencils, and when kids were taught alternative uses for toilet paper :!: :roll:
i know where your coming from jim, the other day my 10 year old came home with a calculator and i flipped rite out :shock:

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Wizz, at the beginning of one school year, my daughter, who is now 28, was in middle school and came home with instructions to have a certain calculator capable of thousands of functions. For a hundred bucks, it shoulda been capable of feeding the cows on cold winter days too :!:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Jim in NC said:
Wizz, at the beginning of one school year, my daughter, who is now 28, was in middle school and came home with instructions to have a certain calculator capable of thousands of functions. For a hundred bucks, it shoulda been capable of feeding the cows on cold winter days too :!:

My oldest is a senior in high school this year. (At the rate hes going he'll be a senior next year too!) They told him he would need one of those this year. I went to wally world, my second least favorite palce to go, and priced one..........$189.99! The teacher sent home a note last week wanting to know when we are going to get it for him. I sent her one back asking when she's going to give me the money for it!! I have a conference with her today. Funny thing is, I let him download one of those for his iphone, from the same company that makes the one at Walmart, cost ........ Free!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Yesterday at work, young guy I was working with needed to know how much 8 X 12 equaled. I told him 96. He pulls out his phone and bring up the calculator and comes up with 96. He asked me how I knew that? Told him they taught me how to do that when I was in school. He said they never taught him how to do things like that when he went to school. Now he thinks I'm very smart.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
4imnotright said:
Yesterday at work, young guy I was working with needed to know how much 8 X 12 equaled. I told him 96. He pulls out his phone and bring up the calculator and comes up with 96. He asked me how I knew that? Told him they taught me how to do that when I was in school. He said they never taught him how to do things like that when he went to school. Now he thinks I'm very smart.

and this is the reason kids cant find decent jobs when they get 18 and move out, oh wait they dont wana move out anymore :evil:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I generally don't have the time for them to get a manager to figure it out. Some times takes more than one manager! :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Just had the conversation yesterday about how there would not be many cashiers today that could make change without a cash register that did not subtract and show the change that needed to be made in a transaction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts