Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first stared collecting tractors it was pretty random, some have practical uses and some we bought just because we liked them. I always said i'd stop when we got at least one of every major vintage tractor brand. Well we got 2 Farmalls, 2 Massey Harris, 2 Allis Chalmers, 1 Oliver and 1 Minneapolis Moline. So in my mind that left us a Ford/Ferguson(either will do), a Case(got one in the works), and a John Deere. Well 3 years ago a friend told me that he had a fella storing a John Deere in his shed in northern MI and that it was apart, I told him that if he ever sold it have him call me. Well as most of you know my brother Steve passed away last August and while at the funeral wake with all the grief, shock, and confusion my friend Pauly looked for something comfortable to talk about and told me that the fella wanted to sell THAT Deere. So I spoke up after looking at some grainy cell phone pictures and told Pauly that I'd give the fella 500 bucks for it, Pauly told me that he wanted to sell it to a good home where it was going to be loved and used. A few weeks later Pauly called me and said the fella took my offer but that I should know the tractor has some issues with the trnasmission not going into gear. I agreed and gave Pauly 100 bucks to tow it to me 3.5 hours South of where it was stored, we bought it sight unseen. And here it is when it arrived
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WjFK9D1URk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjlAcrU-3o
I didnt know what to expect but I guess I didnt expect it to look like this!

The instigators with their prize

Right away we knew we were in over our heads because the crank snout was trashed and so was the clutch drive, so i enlisted the help of a friend to start working at it over the winter. Well a new clutch drive, new battery, new valves, cracked head, welded crank later etc etc....the list was staggering. But this Spring we got the call to come get THAT Deere! So here I am after suffering a heart attack at the bill....dont I look happy?

Someone was happy

Well after getting aquainted with THAT Deere

I was off on the 8 mile trip home and with a severly bent left front rim I felt like a bobblehead doll by the time I got home(see video)
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u184 ... 1_2011.mp4
Here it is in the driveway at home

Here it is after the metal was put on

And as promised the family loving it and using it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEL_EkRKdHo
Well thats the story of THAT Deere....still more yet to come after we start cleaning, fixin, and decoratin it for Thel to her liking...still needs a radiator too but were outta cash! This experince really makes it hard to pick up that Case and Ford in our futures ;)

·
849 Posts
That Deere will grow on you and you'll forget how much it cost eventually. Look at it this way...if you score a really great deal on another tractor it makes up for some of what you have in the A :) Sooner or later a nice Ford or Case will just fall in your lap :lol: Not literally I hope :lol:

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
We all get one like that Derrick if not worse. :roll:
For the price you bought it, you didn't do bad if your repair bill wasn't much more than $2000
That's what one that looks like yours, would go for around here, in decent shape, and you've got the issues fixed. ;)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigDaveinKY said:
For the price you bought it, you didn't do bad if your repair bill wasn't much more than $2000
That's what one that looks like yours, would go for around here, in decent shape, and you've got the issues fixed. ;)
Well Dave, not that I'm counting or anything but I have $1,996.66 in it :lol: :lol: So lets see....seat pad+green paint+ yellow paint....knot knot and carry the knot (thanks Jethro Bodine) little humor there :lol: all totals $2051.78 in it :roll: ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BigDaveinKY said:
Not a bad deal. Maybe more than you expected, and wanted to pay. :?
I have more into some of them and way less into others....I think I was just hoping for the best in a tough year financially and it zinged me :) I got $385 into that MH30 but $2500 into that M Farmall so its a wide range

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
DerickS said:
BigDaveinKY said:
Well Dave, not that I'm counting or anything but I have $1,996.66 in it :lol: :lol: So lets see....seat pad+green paint+ yellow paint....knot knot and carry the knot (thanks Jethro Bodine) little humor there :lol: all totals $2051.78 in it :roll: ;) :lol:
Maybe more than you wanted to spend but that all that bad for a Deere. ;) They are one of the more valuable tractors. IMO

Also having one with both tanks, fuel lines and valve adds value. Some are missing those valves. :cry: The fenders are a big plus too. The more I think about it I think you made out pretty good. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right it was more than I was hoping but if it works out with my little one being happy in the end the cost doesnt matter much. I have been eyeing Deeres for a few years now and when I saw this one it was the first slant dash I saw so I was kinda excited about that, she dont smoke and starts easy so I really have no complaint. The tin is pretty straight except for the fenders, if we ever really restore it they will need a bunch of work but for now were just gonna pretty it up a bit for Thel :D

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
I'd be happy to find a similar one in these parts for $2000. ;)

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
DerickS said:
You are right it was more than I was hoping but if it works out with my little one being happy in the end the cost doesnt matter much. I have been eyeing Deeres for a few years now and when I saw this one it was the first slant dash I saw so I was kinda excited about that, she dont smoke and starts easy so I really have no complaint. The tin is pretty straight except for the fenders, if we ever really restore it they will need a bunch of work but for now were just gonna pretty it up a bit for Thel :D

Maybe I will get a chance to it in person some day. I do not think we live all that far away from each other.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oldman1151 said:
DerickS said:

Maybe I will get a chance to it in person some day. I do not think we live all that far away from each other.
You know that may be true and I would like that alot, our tractors are stored at our place up in the thumb of MI, about two hours north of detroit. You should come down and see our collection.

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
DerickS said:
oldman1151 said:
DerickS said:

You know that may be true and I would like that alot, our tractors are stored at our place up in the thumb of MI, about two hours north of detroit
That may be doable. We are about 10 miles South of Toledo.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah thats nota bad ride at all, one of these days when money is better were gonna have to invest in a trailer and towing specific vehcile so we can travel with the tractors...or at least just one of them :)

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
DerickS said:
Oh yeah thats nota bad ride at all, one of these days when money is better were gonna have to invest in a trailer and towing specific vehcile so we can travel with the tractors...or at least just one of them :)
You should come down and see our collection.
I grew up with John Deere and Oliver but I like them all. I have:
1937 JD B
1942 Farmall A
1942 Farmall BN
1952 Farmall Cub
1953 JD 60 All Fuel
1955 Ford 850
My Son has (from my Dad):
1948 JD AR
1947 Masey 30
Actually belonging to my Mother are:
1925 McCormick Deering
1950 Case SC
1948 Oliver 77 (70 ?)
1937 JD BO
1948 JD A
JD 2510
JD 2520
JD 4240
Another non running Oliver 77 or 70

That's about it. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oldman1151 said:
DerickS said:
You should come down and see our collection.
I grew up with John Deere and Oliver but I like them all. I have:
1937 JD B
1942 Farmall A
1942 Farmall BN
1952 Farmall Cub
1953 JD 60 All Fuel
1955 Ford 850
My Son has (from my Dad):
1948 JD AR
1947 Masey 30
Actually belonging to my Mother are:
1925 McCormick Deering
1950 Case SC
1948 Oliver 77 (70 ?)
1937 JD BO
1948 JD A
JD 2510
JD 2520
JD 4240
Another non running Oliver 77 or 70

That's about it. :D :D :D :D
I have to admit that those would be worth the drive someday :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Seems the Deer had done a great job of marketing. Around here just the bones of about any model Deer goes high. restored ones sell for nearly the same as a brand new Kobota of the same HP range.
Like chevys & belly buttons every body has to have one or is looking for one.
Every show I've ever been to has at least a dozen, Many a show I had the only Masseys there and a friend the only Silver Kings .

:D Al

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I could tell by some of your other post you've had some challenges to overcome with this one but you may find this one takes a special place with your family also. Glad you psted the story.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gordon1121 said:
I could tell by some of your other post you've had some challenges to overcome with this one but you may find this one takes a special place with your family also. Glad you psted the story.
Thanks Gordon :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts