Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally gathered up the parts and tools and my Super C all in the same place at the same time, with some time to tinker. My plan was simple enough, replace the oil filter, change the oil, replace the crankcase gasket, replace the broken petcock, replace the valve cover gasket, and adjust the valves. (not necessarily in that order)

The valve cover gasket was hardened, with a permanent groove where the valve cover had ridden for several years. (exact time unknown) This gasket came off in five or six pieces that just slid off the head (no rtv or anything). The screwdriver slot for adjusting the valves was a story or abuse and neglect. The adjuster for the exhaust valve on the number 4 cylinder (I think, the one closest to the gas tank) had been bent out of shape by a screwdriver that didn't fit right and slipped out of the groove. The other extreme was the exact opposite valve on number 1 cylinder, 1/8" gap between the rocker arm and valve surface. Two of the sparkplugs were just finger tight, and the oil filter housing gasket was pinched nearly into two pieces. The fresh paint on the outer edge of this old gasket was a clue, but I had no idea I'd find this much.

The crankcase gasket looked like an original. Three coats of paint, and what looked like asbestos fibers woven into the gasket. If it was not original, it was no newer than mid-70's.

The rest of the project held no surprises, but after the condition of the top end was holding my breath. Oh well, sounds and feels much better now. More to come, seems that a previous owner decided a framing nail made a good pin for steering linkage, and then there is the welded but still broken u-joint in the steering shaft at the front.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That does sound interesting :)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yep, you can sure find some interesting temporary "fixes" that ended up permanent. I have a JD LA that has a railroad spike welded over a broken spot in the steering linkage !!! I'm just leaving it there whenever it's number comes up for the shop. Conversation piece, you know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts