Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,020 Posts
We cut anytime there is an opportunity for free wood. Just two evenings ago a buddy had me come and drop a 20" sycamore next to his new shed and a dead 36" Chinkapin Oak behind it. I figure the more free wood I get, the longer the growth on my own property will sustain me in the future. It ain't too pleasant cutting in the 90 degree temp range (plus the midwest humidity) but if we don't get it then, it'll go in the burn pit on the construction sites. My brother, two of my nephews and my son are operators for a midsize construction company that builds bridges, sewer treatment plants, lakes etc. and we use their crawlers and track hoes with skidding tongs to load logs off the sites. Line 'em up in the flats, top them then stump them, then come in with the track hoe and load them like toothpicks with the skidding tongs and a steel choker shackled to the bucket. We haul typically up to 26' in length. The last lake turned out to be 80 acres underwater. Lotta wood there to be had. About 20 guys hauled out of that one, smiling all the way, even though it WAS through the summer. Sure must be nice sitting in the air conditioned cabs, however, not being operators, my son-in-law and myself are the slobs climbing around topping, stumping and loading. :? :? Its all good, though.

· Registered
3,020 Posts
alleyyooper said:
The opening of this thread asked a question about cutting fire wood by signs like planting crops/garden and harvesting.
Doesn't any one pay attention to signs when cutting fire wood?

:D Al
Not at all... If the wood is free and needs cutting now, the signs don't mean anything to me. ;) Back on the home place, Dad did everything under the sun by the sign of the moon...pruning grapes, planting crop, cutting pigs etc. He even scheduled his own surgery to the correct sign so he wouldn't bleed as much. Religiously checked the almanac to tell me if I'd catch fish or not. Certain woods he would not cut unless it was the right time of year because of the bores.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.