Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
485 Posts
If i was using live trees I felled them when the leaves were on, the leaves would pull out a lot of moisture. Cut in rounds after leaves all died. Split as soon after cut as I could because it split easier. If the logs were dried already, I liked to cut it in the fall after crops were in. Cooler that way....James

· Registered
485 Posts
[quote="missouri massey man Not at all... If the wood is free and needs cutting now, the signs don't mean anything to me. ;) Back on the home place, Dad did everything under the sun by the sign of the moon...pruning grapes, planting crop, cutting pigs etc. He even scheduled his own surgery to the correct sign so he wouldn't bleed as much. Religiously checked the almanac to tell me if I'd catch fish or not. Certain woods he would not cut unless it was the right time of year because of the bores.[/quote]

My Grandpa was the same way, didn't do anything without checking the almanac. Grandma had her own ways, handed down from her ancestors. But when she moved from Kansas to Oregon, gardening was all different and she learned new ways. I used too do a lot by the signs, found it makes little or no difference. Things are so different now, hybrid seeds, new technology, quick, easy fixes. Years past it made things easier and better if done at the right time. Not saying it is better now, not at all. There were reasons then, that still work well today, just don't make as much difference now. I like a lot of the old ways but the sign of the moon....not so much. I have my own ways, I like to grow my food without commercial fertilizer or pesticides, Plant way earlier, use hoops and a greenhouse. I use companion planting to help with bugs and diseases but I don't plant by the moon....James

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.