Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the thermostat located on a 1952 Massey Harris Pony tractor? We believe it is stuck & we want to get it fixed. We also want to install a heat gauge so we can keep our eye on the temp during parades.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The cooling system in the Pony is a thermo-siphon system. There is no waterpump and no thermostat. The lower part of the radiator on siphon systems likes to plug up with gunk and sediment, so a good flushing of the system every couple years is good maintenance. If it doesn't have a temp gauge already installed, and you want one, you could probably get someone( any repair shop) to tap the water jacket on the engine, if it does not already have a tapped place for it, run the cable up to the dash, and install a gauge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cooling system in the Pony is a thermo-siphon system. There is no waterpump and no thermostat. The lower part of the radiator on siphon systems likes to plug up with gunk and sediment, so a good flushing of the system every couple years is good maintenance. If it doesn't have a temp gauge already installed, and you want one, you could probably get someone( any repair shop) to tap the water jacket on the engine, if it does not already have a tapped place for it, run the cable up to the dash, and install a gauge.
Thank you! We thought of getting a thermostat radiator cap, would that be sufficient? We only want to make sure that it never gets too hot. We just installed a brand new radiator in it so I know it’s not plugged. I believe the guy that restored it overfilled the radiator tank and that’s why I had some blowing out the side of the overflow.
how hard is it to install a thermostat like you suggested? Is it really necessary do you think?

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
You need a properly working radiator cap if you do not. As RJ said thermosiphon systems have no water pump or thermostats. A new radiator should be dust free on the outside and clean on the inside. Some people use vinegar to clean the internal system. I'd just fill with water in the summer and run it whn you need to change the antifreeze. Make sure the fan belt has the proper tension and does not slip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need a properly working radiator cap if you do not. As RJ said thermosiphon systems have no water pump or thermostats. A new radiator should be dust free on the outside and clean on the inside. Some people use vinegar to clean the internal system. I'd just fill with water in the summer and run it whn you need to change the antifreeze. Make sure the fan belt has the proper tension and does not slip.
this radiator is brand spanking new, with no dust buildup at all (not yet anyway). The guy who restored it overfilled the radiator as he was unaware of it being a thermosiphon system. It has stopped blowing fluid out the overflow tube. The motor isnt hot that we can feel, but I have yet to run it on a very hot day. I have a brand new radiator cap on it that is over 6 psi & am thinking of getting radiator cap that has a thermostat built in it. Is that not a good idea?
thanks!
Also, does anybody know where I can get the hydraulic parts for the belly mower & a draw bar on my ‘52 Pony?? The restoration guy took them off to “clean it up”, which he was unauthorized to do & now I dont have the parts anymore.The idiot took them to an iron dealer. 😩

·
Registered
444 Posts
The radiator cap needs to be a non pressurized cap for a siphon system. You may be able to go to the Pony parts page on Steiner tractor parts, and it will show you the correct cap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The radiator cap needs to be a non pressurized cap for a siphon system. You may be able to go to the Pony parts page on Steiner tractor parts, and it will show you the correct cap.
Thank you! I did find one on the Steiner web site. I appreciate the help. 😁
I do have one on there & am not sure what the psi rating is, but the one I bought on Steiner is a 4 psi, so the tractor needs a little bit of a pressurized cap it says. 🤷‍♀️
Thanks again!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Steiner's part would be the correct one. I guess, if a fellow thought about it, 4 psi would be next to nothing.
;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steiner's part would be the correct one. I guess, if a fellow thought about it, 4 psi would be next to nothing.
;)
This is true, lol. Not sure what psi the hubby put on it, but I ordered a 4 psi & will put that one on it. Thank you for your answers & helping me to find the right parts!
Where would I go to find a value on this tractor? Am curious what its worth. Thanks! Happy 4th!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts