Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

These are the pecans I have at my home
1) is called a southern giant, as you can see, it's considerably larger than the others
2) is a stuart
3) Colby
4) Sure crop
5)Hardy giant
6& 7) are unknown. these are old trees and no one knows what variety they are.
The Southern giant, Colby, Sure Crop, and hardy Giant are all grafted trees purchased from Stark Bros. Nursery Louisianna, MO. The stuart tree was given to me.
We do have pecans in Illinois, just not as big as in the south.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

This is the photo of the pecans. Internet explorer is giving me a fit today. Just doesn't want to work correctly.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the nuts are a little on the smaller size this year. Being this is the fisrt year the southern giant has produced nut, I don't know if they're smaller then usual.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Would love some of those southern Gaint's nice looking pecans.
My sister in S C gave me a big zip lock bag of pecans (shelled
out) along with my christmas present. It was the best I got for Christmas.
Hope she gives me more this year.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to wait a week or two to let the southern giant nut dry before I crack one to see how it taste. There is good weight to it so I'm pretty sure it's a full nut.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Was at a house a few miles from my home yesterday. There was a pecan tree in the yard full of nice- sized nuts still in the outer hull. very few had fallen. the tree still had most of its leaves. There are very few listings on craigslist so far. I just believe they ain't ready here yet.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim in NC said:
Was at a house a few miles from my home yesterday. There was a pecan tree in the yard full of nice- sized nuts still in the outer hull. very few had fallen. the tree still had most of its leaves. There are very few listings on craigslist so far. I just believe they ain't ready here yet.
Jim, a lot of pecans need a freeze or killing frost before they open & drop. My stuart and southern giant arejust begining to open

·
Registered
926 Posts
Stuarts here arent filled out; little early yet this year on Choctaws. The few i've pulled and cut into don't look that good. Not nuff precip this year. Funny thing is the squirrels aren't paying them that much attention either.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
The squirrels know.. They did not let me see enny of mine :!: :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts