Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well right, wrong or crazy we decided to raise a little tobacco this year just to test the auctions a little. Were going to raise around a acre, from what I am hearing the prices are going to go up in the next few years, who knows it depends on who your talking to but to tell the truth I miss watching it grow.

The last time tobacco was raised in this spot I raised it in 91, we rotated it off this side of the field and then it was bought out.

This is about all I got to plow and was relieved to dragging duty but that's ok with me.

Brandon said he would take one for the team that way my neck wouldn't get sore. :shock: :D :D

Not much time for a photo op cause we were rushed and it was still after dark when we got done but in the background you can see that some highly skilled dragging was being done. :) :)

Don't mean to bore anybody but I'm going to try and document the crop as it goes along just in case anybody hadn't seen it before and will be sure to announce cutting and housing in advance just in case anyone wants to be in the pictures. Its hard to cut and take pictures at the same time. ;)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: Tobacco 2013

Please do!!!!Here in my area bacci wasn't grown and when you ole tobacco farmers post it really gets my interest. Lets me live a little vicariously through your efforts to keep this alive!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,440 Posts

Gordon, I get 4 farm publications a month, and daily emails during the week. There have been several articles recently about the rising demand of tobacco. The article I posted weeks ago about auctions making a comeback with both flue-cured and burley indicate farmers are taking chances that the higher demand will hold. I wish yall well. You need to grow enuff, or lease some land to another grower so yall will have enuff baccer to fill your barn :!: :idea: :idea: ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

Gordon .That agreat ideal to do a post on tobacco.
I have seen it all done and did most everthing in it .
No cutting but most everything else. Will look forward to watching
this post . Looked like a niceplowing job and great dirt to plant ln.

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts

I miss it too Gordon. If you weren't two plus hours from home I might have to come help. ;)
When did you break ground? I thought about it Sunday, but was still just a bit too wet here.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the comments everybody.
Stephenscity said:
Please do!!!!Here in my area bacci wasn't grown and when you ole tobacco farmers post it really gets my interest. Lets me live a little vicariously through your efforts to keep this alive!!!
Glad to see your intrested Mike like I said I'll anounce everything early and maybe you can come by and get a little hands on. :D :D :D :D

Jim in NC said:
Gordon, I get 4 farm publications a month, and daily emails during the week. There have been several articles recently about the rising demand of tobacco. The article I posted weeks ago about auctions making a comeback with both flue-cured and burley indicate farmers are taking chances that the higher demand will hold. I wish yall well. You need to grow enuff, or lease some land to another grower so yall will have enuff baccer to fill your barn :!: :idea: :idea: ;)
Thanks for the well wishes Jim. If it works out good we may just have to pack both barns full next year.

bettyp said:
Gordon .That agreat ideal to do a post on tobacco.
I have seen it all done and did most everthing in it .
No cutting but most everything else. Will look forward to watching
this post . Looked like a niceplowing job and great dirt to plant ln.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Betty and I hope you enjoy.

BigDaveinKY said:
I miss it too Gordon. If you weren't two plus hours from home I might have to come help. ;)
When did you break ground? I thought about it Sunday, but was still just a bit too wet here.
We turned the ground Monday evening. The wind had been blowing for a couple of days and it was just about right. That night it was out of the east and coming up the holler off the river I don't mind saying about the time the moon came up over the trees I thought my ears were going to fall off. Goot back to the barn and got in the truck and it said 43 degrees. Coldest 43 I can remember. :) :)
You are welcome anytime Dave. Me and you can be the old guys driving the tractors through the field while the younger ones load it and if they don't look like there sweating enough we'll kick it up a gear. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,440 Posts

Gordon, you got 3 tractors just in case another old guy sshows up :?: :?: :?: :eek: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Come on up Jim if we run out of tractors we'll set in the shade drink some sweet tea and talk about old times. :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I'd love to see this but affraid you guys would have way too much fun with the rookie :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,440 Posts

gordon1121 said:
Come on up Jim if we run out of tractors we'll set in the shade drink some sweet tea and talk about old times. :) :) :) :)
I appreciate the offer Gordon, but I was actually thinking of someone else when I typed this. You mentioned "old guys" remember? I'd love to join yall though.

Did yall used to put anything special in your transplant water?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts

I don't care if they're young or old or anywhere in between - anybody who wants to help cut & house this will be more than welcome in my book! :lol: I'm sure that Dad and I will have our hands full this fall.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts

Well as being the elder one in the family I guess that I will be able to give advice and tell tall stories as the younger ones does most of the work. I have done my part over the years and it was a big part of our lives lots of hard work and even more memories of family being close and working together. I guess that my favorite part of tobacco was the begining and the end. Setting was always a memorible time seems as the oldest drove the tractor and the youngest followed the settter and reset the ones that the setter missed. The striping and bailing was where lots of stories were told I rember a uncle that would always be around and give us younger boys lots of good advice and keep us entertained these are things that I will cherish.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

don32040 said:
Well as being the elder one in the family I guess that I will be able to give advice and tell tall stories as the younger ones does most of the work. I have done my part over the years and it was a big part of our lives lots of hard work and even more memories of family being close and working together. I guess that my favorite part of tobacco was the begining and the end. Setting was always a memorible time seems as the oldest drove the tractor and the youngest followed the settter and reset the ones that the setter missed. The striping and bailing was where lots of stories were told I rember a uncle that would always be around and give us younger boys lots of good advice and keep us entertained these are things that I will cherish.
I agree Donlots of good stories can be told here about raising tobacco. It was a family affair with us no matter how Young . I had two boys born in the same year (1 in Jan & other in Dec.) whenthey were 2& 3 would take them to stripping roomfor a whole day . Take lunch and all needed thing ,They Had a bed made and would nap in the afternoon for a couple hours . Rest of time played on the dirt floor with toy tractors & etc. Needless to said at the close of the day they both got dumped in bathtub together before I could get supper ready for 6 people (2 older boys in school) Hard work but lots of good family time.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Sure hope you all keep up these stories I have really enjoyed hearing them and about a crop I have never had any experiance with.
Betty I am guessing is a stripping room where you remove the leaves from the stalk? Boy could have had some fun with this one :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts

I want to see some good hand ties when you get started stripping, Gordon (or Don). ;)
It's an art of burley farming that has been lost in our generation.
Farmers used to pride themselves on how well they could show off their produce in a hand.
You were a stick handler in Granddad's stripping room, until your fingers were long enough
to make a hand to his standards. Then you were on the stripping line, and a stick handler. :?
We can make it a contest, y'all make your best hand, and we'll judge 'em from the photos. :?: :D ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

Dave I use to think I could tie a hand of tobacco better than most men.
Now that my hands are 82 yrs. old and did lots of work like milking a cow
quilting & the list goes on not sure how good it would look. I'm willing to
still try.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

We never had a stripping room or a barn with lights. We always had three 2x12's across the driveway doors and if enough people showed up we would make some makeshift tables down the sides to, sometimes we would have a coke stove with a little bit of fire that sure did feel good sometimes but if the wind was blowing it was more just for looks.
One year we had a lot of our crop housed in a log barn on dads place. Between the logs was about five inches of nothing which made for a good breeze when it was cold. When mom and dad booked it down on a Thursday a stick fell and hit mom in the eye. She was all patched up and in a lot of pain for the next few days and me and dad stripped the crop out by ourselves with no fire. It was 17 in the morning and would only get up to about 28 through the day. I'll never forget that year and a old am radio dad had cause on Saturday we listened to UK play on 59am. Funny what sticks with you sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
8,440 Posts

Gordon, I am really surprised you could handle and strip that baccer when it was that cold. How would it possibly be in order or in case as some call it :?: :?: :?: Got me shiverin' thinkin' about it.

It's very similar to primin' dew covered baccer on a cool October mornin' with the temperature at or near freezing :eek: :shock: :shock: :!: Yes, and try pullin' it in the sleet and wind... a little less fun if you must know :!: :roll: :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Jim in NC said:
Gordon, I am really surprised you could handle and strip that baccer when it was that cold. How would it possibly be in order or in case as some call it :?: :?: :?: Got me shiverin' thinkin' about it.

It's very similar to primin' dew covered baccer on a cool October mornin' with the temperature at or near freezing :eek: :shock: :shock: :!: Yes, and try pullin' it in the sleet and wind... a little less fun if you must know :!: :roll: :roll:
Good old Kentucky weather Jim. Somrtimes you get rain in the upper 30's with a season and as the day goes along it gets colder and the tobacco starts going out of case and you get as much as you can down before it does. When you bring it off the stick you put it in a bolk , not sure how it is but thats how it sounds, pressed real tight and cover it with plastic real tight if its going out with the tips to the middle to hold it in case. As you strip you raise the plastic get a armload and cover it back up to keep it from drying out. If it starts to get too dry you can spray the butts with warm water and bring it in enough to strip on the other side of the coin you can bolk it with the tips out if its a little high or going to stay damp or we have put it down on the stick standing and covered it so some air can get through it if its to high and the ground will pull some of the case out you just got to be careful. Your pretty much always going to be putting it down when a front is coming through and sometimes that means the bottom is going to fall out of the temp when its gone, thats when you better have it bolked tight ond covered good and strip fast.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

BigDaveinKY said:
I want to see some good hand ties when you get started stripping, Gordon (or Don). ;)
It's an art of burley farming that has been lost in our generation.
Farmers used to pride themselves on how well they could show off their produce in a hand.
You were a stick handler in Granddad's stripping room, until your fingers were long enough
to make a hand to his standards. Then you were on the stripping line, and a stick handler. :?
We can make it a contest, y'all make your best hand, and we'll judge 'em from the photos. :?: :D ;)
Dave its been a long time since I saved a tie leaf back but we'll make sure and do a few. You and Betty are right I remember when great pride was taken and expected when you tied your hands. All the stems even and tied just so, nobody wanted it looking like somebody who didn't care stripped it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts