Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Long is my "backer plantin' tractor' and these pics were taken while planting my neighbor's crop a few years ago. At the time there were 3 or 4 of us "smaller" tobacco farmers locally that used one-row equipment. You'd probably haveto search far and wide now to find someone plantin' backer with a one- row planter now.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
We were using a one-row Holland planter when we stopped in 2004, brings back fond memories! Very nice set up for holding the trays too! We never had a tractor with a hood that flat :lol: Beautiful pictures! Very nice setup with the tank as well!

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
OK Jim you got close to my heart with these. I can hear the click and swish of the water just looking at the pictures. Looks like you got the float bed trays good. The first couple of years I would pull the plants out and stack in the tray on my side like when we did beds. Really enjoyed the pics.

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gordon, I raised my own plants in beds up until 2000 or so. I went to a mixture of greenhouse and plantbed plants in the late 90s, then all to greenhouse plants as allotments grew smaller. The costs of plant bed supplies rose rite much about the same time, methyl bromide was hard to get, and the time it took to pull plants all pushed me to greenhouse plants. Plantbed plants seemed to start growing a little quicker and they could survive a dry spell at planting better to me than greenhouse plants. Just as soon as we finisned planting it was haying time so it was busy all 'round. Don't forgst about the gardens, too. I still missed having plantbeds cuz I did not have to depend on someone else. With no disrespect to my farmer friends that I bought plants from, it is just much easier for me to keep things as simple as possible.

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
gordon1121 said:
OK Jim you got close to my heart with these. I can hear the click and swish of the water just looking at the pictures. Looks like you got the float bed trays good. The first couple of years I would pull the plants out and stack in the tray on my side like when we did beds. Really enjoyed the pics.
That's the way I always did tray plants, Gordon. After 20 years of using pulled plants, and then the plant trays didn't fit our setter trays worth a hoot.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It's ALL foreign to me, gents, but I find it very interesting none the less. Ain't no tobacco in Missouri unless it's pouched or plugged !!! ;) ;) Well, maybe rolled too....

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
missouri massey man said:
It's ALL foreign to me, gents, but I find it very interesting none the less. Ain't no tobacco in Missouri unless it's pouched or plugged !!! ;) ;) Well, maybe rolled too....

I can probably put you in touch with a plant producer if you want to try it. You could be the first Missouri tobacco grower. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts