Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, got here through Chris, (Sugermaker) we are fellow cub-nuts.
At the present time I have no full size tractors, just my cubs and a compact Kubota I use on our foodplots. Growing up as a farm boy, we had the farmall Super C, W9, and John Deere A. Later grandpa bought a 856, we really thought we hit the big time then. Well then grandpa picked up a used JD 2510.
I had my accident in April 1985, and was left paralized, that put an end to the big tractor operating. So later, I can't remember the year right off hand, but gramp's bought a 1086, with cab and a/c, how did I miss that? :D
Well the super C and W9 are long gone, only a memory, as well as the A, but the 856, 2510 and 1086 are still at the farm in the hands of my uncle, who by the way has no children, and someday will be coming home to me, unless something unforseen happens. But the three of them are still in use today, granted not as much as they were in their hayday, as now most of the old farm land that they used to work is rented out to the neighbor's big dairy farm.
I miss the days of cultivating corn with the super C, two rows at a time twice a year, the first time with the sheilds in first gear. And bailing hay with the JD, A pucka, pucka, pucka. And the old W9 on the blower, filling the silo with corn silage.We had the neighbors do our corn chopping for us, and the one farm was three miles from home where we would have to haul along the hiway, that was one of the jobs of the 856. I 'd get that ole' pig hooked up to the chopper box and get the torq lever up in high, and you were burning with gas!, Still my favorite tractor.
Never know, someday just may have to build me a ramp, and get on that old boy again. That's what we did so I can get on the Kubota. Built a ramp, wheel up along side and take a long board (no slivers) and slide across. Put a lever in the clutch pedal and off I go.
So for now, I'm here on this great site to just look at and read about you all and these great old tractors that kept america fed in the days gone by. Thanks for listening to some guy go on and on about the past.
I'll keep my eyes open, for that little bit of memory lane.
zippy1

G

·
0 Posts
Welcome Todd. Wonderful story and memories. Sure hope the tractors do make their way back to you.
Glad you joined. Enjoy yourself here Sir

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Welcome to ATF - glad to have you with us as a member enjoy the forum ;)

·
Administrator
3,964 Posts
Hello Todd, and Welcome!! Glad you joined us.
Hope you enjoy the forum !!! ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Welcome Todd! Loved your stories and it is great to have you with us :!:

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
Welcome to ATF.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts