Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I don't remember the year he built this track hoe, but my oldest nephew using a pattern from Grizzly built this for his dad. Probably '04 maybe '05 or so.

All scrap oak and walnut from the wood pile or maybe from some old sawmill lumber stockpiled at my much older brothers place sawed back prior to '82 when the home place was sold. I guess I should've asked. I guess you can tell there is an International fanatic in the family...that's ok, we won't disown him for that.

Definitely an eye for detail, each track made of dozens of individual pieces painstakingly assembled and work just like real ones. Well, maybe not quite, but impressive none the less.

AHA !! There's the date... it was in '04. Now don't worry about the track tensioners letting the tracks get a little loose...we gotta cut the boy some slack.

The undercarriage must have driven him nuts...

Hydraulic cylinders are dowel rods, drilled for the rams. Check out the bosses for cylinder connections to the frame.

A little fuzzy but a little different perspective looking down from the bucket end.

Pretty good detail inside the cab, looks like old hydraulic controls and not a joystick !!! Boy, a pretty old school hoe.....

There you have it...another pretty cool project built by my oldest nephew. His younger brother, his dad, and my son all run the real things for a living. Well, my much older brother decided he'd pushed and dug enough dirt in his career, so he's retired now. Hope you enjoyed the photos and the prattle.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I would like to start by saying that none of the words I'm going to use are going to give that hoe justice. That is just AWSUME!!!!! The more you look at it the more you see and that is the mark of a great piece. The detail is amazing, the action of cylinders is over the top. The tracks,pins,idlers and rollers show the patience of Job. Tell your oldest nephew that he is a true craftsman and does some amazing work and about the fourth trip down through the pictures I thought I saw some black smoke coming out of the stack. Also tell your much older brother the hats add a good presence, the black one with the white emblem is my favorite, got a short bill and a better set. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for commenting so favorably on his work guys...like I said before, my finesse is with a chainsaw and I too am amazed at the detail of his projects.

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
He did a great job. :D That looks like fun to build from a pattern. About the only way I could ever do something like that. :roll:
I might have to find those patterns and give it a try when I get my bride's woodshop outta the basement. Don't do stairs well anymore.
Did he do the little twelve ton wheeled crane from a pattern also :?: And when are you gonna show that one off ? :eek: :? :roll: ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Amazing work . He has lots of talent and lots of patients
Thanks Wendell for sharing this.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Absolutely amazing! I tinker with wood but never would have that much talent or patience.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BigDaveinKY said:
He did a great job. :D That looks like fun to build from a pattern. About the only way I could ever do something like that. :roll:
I might have to find those patterns and give it a try when I get my bride's woodshop outta the basement. Don't do stairs well anymore.
Did he do the little twelve ton wheeled crane from a pattern also :?: And when are you gonna show that one off ? :eek: :? :roll: ;)
Yes, it is another of his projects done with the use of a Grizzley pattern, and soon as I have a few spare minutes, I'll get that job posted as well.
Thanks JamieJ, MissBetty (and the rest of the fellows) for looking. He does put a lot of effort into each project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts