Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 51 AC WD 45 keeps dying after only a few minutes of running could this be bc if timing?? If so where do I find the timing at?? Also it's dropping oil out the exhaust any ideas on this to??

·
Registered
327 Posts
Big Dave or Sugarmaker, may be able answer your question about the running a few minutes and shutting down, as they both have Allis Chalmers tractors. As far as the oil coming out the exhaust, I would say the oil is bypassing the rings. New rings or overhaul would be a more permanent solution. Sometimes you can delay it by adding a thicker oil, or an oil additive that thickens the oil to slow it from bypassing the rings. Depends on how much the tractor is used.

·
Super Moderator
7,970 Posts
Next time it shuts off check to see if coil is very hot. It may be bad. Also the condenser is suspect. I am guessing it has a coil ignition system.

Reactions: iko

·
Administrator
4,034 Posts
If it starts the timing is close enough that it shouldn't die. Maybe run rough....but not die.
A '51 was built with a magneto ignition. If it's been converted to a coil ignition try Jim's suggestions
Another thing is fuel delivery. Make sure you've got good fuel flow at the carburetor.
Clean the sediment bowl, check for trash in the fuel tank, and try running it with the gas cap loose.

This link shows the timing adjustment for a WC magneto ignition. This will be the same for your WD.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Zac,
Had this on my 45 the other day. Turned out the main jet "L" shaped handle on the lower front of the carb and it was very happy. If thats not it it could be 17 other things! We can go through the standard potential problems.
Sorry I have been off in the weeds for a while.
We could use some pictures of your tractor too!
Regards,
Chris

Reactions: Jim in NC

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Zac,
Couple things if your sure its a 51 then its not a WD45. But if your sure its a WD45 its not a 51. WD45 came out in 54 I believe. Oil coming from exhaust is probably not a good thing. I get some specs of oil blowing out the exhaust but have not seen any dripping oil from the exhaust? Humm??
Regards,
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts